Saturday, September 6, 2014

One Magical Day, One Year Ago!

One year ago today was the last Stake Conference where Glenn spoke.  He bore a powerful testimony of the Savior and his restored gospel, he also sang "Come Thou Fount" with the Law Brothers.

It was the BYU vs Texas foot ball game and all the kids were here to watch it.  We also had our family pictures taken.  It was a miracle that all of children could come.  Some of them had some very difficult family situations at home.  I am so glad their spouses were so supportive.

The day was full:  BYU Game
 Glenn watching his family...
Our family pictures were taken by Julie Waites.  What a pro she is, her handsome husband came along to help her.  It was really fun.  Our family was not all there for a total of 24 hours, some came early and left early, some came later and left early, some stayed for days after!  How ever they made it, I was so grateful and it was a miracle!  I love this picture, it hangs in our entry now! This was taken in our front yard.  I love how colorful it is!
This was in our back yard.
Then Julie's husband Bill said we should have our picture taken in BYU shirts.  I had wanted that, but didn't want to waste Julie's time.  The funny thing is that Glenn was in a hurry to get to priesthood session early so he could practice singing with the Law Brothers.  That last time we had a family picture taken, he was a bishop and he was in a hurry to get to the church to perform a wedding.  Some things never change...never mind that the earlier part of the day was taken up with a football game.  But we have them and the look on his face is pain, not frustration.

We scrambled and found as many BYU shirts as we needed, all different!  And I am sure there were plenty more in the house!


 Then Glenn hurried to the bedroom to put on his 
superman suit and go.
Luckily the boys were ready to go too and we got this fabulous picture.  We seem to get lots of pictures of the boys together, but are yet to get a good picture of just the girls.  We will have to work on that!  These pictures were actually taken Sunday Morning before conference.  So glad we have it.
Erik's last time with is dad, it makes me cry every time I think of it!
After this picture, Erik had to go pack to catch a flight home.
He was down stairs cramming things into his bag when
he realized that "this was it!"  He was able to stop the car
before it left the cul-de-sac and give his dad a hug and tell 
him good bye.  Glenn asked him to pray for a miracle.  It is 
interesting to read my blogs and journal and see that we were
still hoping for a miracle.  I guess that we had many miracles,
just not the one that was most obviously on our minds.
 Seth and his dad, I don't know if this was in the evening 
or the next morning.  This is so them! (It was morning).
After we were through taking our family pictures, Heather cuddled up to her dad and asked Julie to take her picture.  I was off looking for BYU shirts.  I saw this one out of the corner of my eye.
Then unbeknown to me these three got their picture taken with their dad.


This was all before the family BYU pictures.  Julie said that she would come back the next day to finish, but I didn't know what she meant, and what she had left undone.  The next day Erik and Jeremy left and since Glenn had spent so much time standing after Saturday night conference he was in so much pain.  It took morphine to calm it down.  So when Julie brought the family pictures to us, I saw that 4 of my 7 children had their pictures taken with their dad!  Luckily Kimberly and Clark are living in Moses Lake so it was easy to schedule them to get their pictures taken.

By the time these pictures were taken, Glenn didn't want to go down the stairs into the yard.  Luckily they could get them taken on the deck out side.   This is one of his best pictures as far and the pained look on his face.  I feel so bad that he had to be in so much pain.

That left Seth, and Glenn was going down hill.  Seth was scheduled to come in the middle of October.  I was holding my breath, hoping he would make it.  I called Julie when he was coming and we made that the first priority!  Whew! This was ONE WEEK before he died! WHEW!
All of the kids are so grateful that they have these pictures.  I am so grateful too and I count that as one of the miracles we experienced last year!  I am so thankful to Julie for the love and kindness she has shown to our family in making sure that we have these pictures.  I am so grateful for that Saturday last year and the follow up to get the rest of the pictures taken.  It was a magical day!

Glenn's talk, testimony and song were wonderful.  He was on such a high that I could not get him to sit. He must have stood and visited for an hour after the session.  I took his picture with some of our friends:
Glenn's niece Lori and Her husband Matt Mills.
Danielle photo bombing.
 Two of our best friends, Neesha and Brenda.
 Susan and Randy Gubler.
Remember, just a few hours earlier he was in so much pain getting our family pictures taken.  Amazing what some pain meds and being high on the spirit will do.  He looks so good, yet you can see that he is sick.  He really loved his calling.


1 comments:

Grandma & Grandpa said...

Love the pictures, Kathy. They are wonderful and
more precious every day, I'm sure!