Friday, March 7, 2014

Les Miserables

Many years ago Glenn and I were in the Boise Idaho North Stake one of our stake presidents was Vaughn J Featherstone.  He had read the novel Les Miserables several times and he quoted it in some of his talks.  One night he gave a fireside on that novel and it forever changed my life.  I have noticed that book is often quoted by the general authorities of our church.

I determined that I would read it.  Little did I know that it was actually five 250 page books, each with its own name.  The first time I tried to read it, I was bogged down with the Bishop of D' and I didn't get very far, but I persisted.  One time when I read it I glossed over chapters on the French Revolution and the Sewers of Paris.  Once I read the abridged version (which I really didn't enjoy).  The last time I read it I read every word and I started crying at the beginning of the last book...so for 250 pages I cried.  I had such a bad head ache!

I have seen various movies and a video of the broadway play (which I hated).  But this last movie with Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway is really a good representation of the book!  Kimberly reminded me that she had given me the movie (I can't believe I forgot that I have it).  So today, since I am home with a sick Clark, I decided to watch it again!

It was so painful to watch what happened to Fontaine, I didn't think I was going to make it through the movie.  But I stuck with it and continued to the end, even though it was painful and made me cry.  That is such a good movie, the music is so moving and they are really able to tell the story in the words, music and emotion of the songs.

If you haven't seen this movie, I highly recommend it.  To witness the complete transformation and integrity of Jean Valjean is truly uplifting.   The stark contrast of the Justice demanded by Javert and the Mercy extended by Jean Valjean is an example of the Saviors love for us, and how His mercy meets the demands of justice.  Love it!

1 comments:

Kimberly said...

It is so good. I cry about 5 different times throughout. Curtis has yet to shed a tear... maybe someday!!