Monday, January 27, 2014

How One Friend has Blessed My Life!

I have many friends who have been a great blessing to me as I have gone through the trial of Glenn's sickness, his passing, and the sad days of grieving which have followed. I am in awe of the many kind gestures that have been offered to me.  The visits, the lunch dates, the gifts, the phone calls, the prayers, the kind thought, the friendship.  I literally never knew how much support we had and I am so very thankful.

Today I am thinking of one friend in particular who has blessed my life.  In considering how helpful and wonderful she has been, it makes me take stalk of the kind of friend I am.  It seems to me that as friends, we often see what people are going through and offer "our sound advice" on what they should do and how to do it, maybe even how they should feel.  She is decidedly not that kind of friend.  Some of the things that she has done to bless my life are:

Sit quietly with me for hours as I made preparations for Glenn's final days.  She was not invasive or interfering.  She did not give advice unless I asked for it.  She didn't tell me what to do or think.  She was just there to help when and where needed.  When there was something that I needed she quickly, quietly helped.  I have never known such quiet steady companionship.  I will always remember and be grateful for that blessing at such a critical time in my life!

That same day after spending hours with me, she went to Costco with her husband to help me stock up for the busy days that were sure to follow. What a blessing that was.

When she heard that one of my concerns about Glenn leaving is that I am afraid of the dark, she bought wonderful night lights that double as flashlights,  very useful and handy.  Now there are soft lights in every room in the house at night.  What a blessing.

Now that I have a little more time on my hands, I would like to watch a good movie from time to time. When she heard that I was having a hard time finding good movies on TV, at my request,  she made a list of good things to view on Net flicks and good programs on Mormon Channel,  What a blessing.

She also loaned me good clean movies and good clean books, knowing that I want to keep close to the Lord at all times, but especially as I am grieving.  Good clean literature and movies are hard to find these days.  It is a blessing to have good recreational media to fill the long evening hours.


Just recently when she heard that I have a head cold she brought by some food and these wonderful fresh flowers.  They cheer me up every time I see them.  I love peach roses and these miniature roses are a blessing and a joy to me.

When she asks me how I am doing, she sits down, relaxes and truly wants to know.  She takes the time to listen without judging or minimizing my grief.  She knows that I understand the great plan of happiness without telling me about it.  She knows that I know Glenn is out of pain and in a better place. She knows that I know I will be with him again, but that for now it miss him more than words can say. She knows that even though time passes quickly, the time until I see him again seems to loom out there a long long way.  What a blessing a good listener is.

She has done even more than all of these things, she has given me the precious gift of her time in many ways.  I am not saying that we can all be that kind of friend and do the exact things that she does, but I want to be a better friend because of the example she has set for me.  This friend is a true servants of God, kind, thoughtful, loving, giving. What a blessing it is for me to have her in my life!

3 comments:

Grandma & Grandpa said...

I made it to Institute class today and noticed that you weren't there. It sounds like you've had a bad cold. I hope you're doing better. A bug seems to be going around that seems to last and last. Hope yours doesn't! ==Your friend is certainly an example to me. I'm grateful that you have such a caring and thoughtful friend. We love you and pray for you, V&L

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

This is a lovely post. I have learned much just reading it about it. Your friend's influence just keeps going.

Thanks for posting.

Renée TOMLINSON PETERSEN said...

Love your friend, Kathy. And Yes, I too learned a lot from this post. Thank You for sharing your feelings.
I think of you often. Many prayers go your way. Renee