Tuesday, December 10, 2013

"Learning Curve"

Clark and I took a trip to Utah for Thanks Giving and longer, I had quite a few learning curves:

  1. I learned to make sure there are no "indicator" lights on on the dash board BEFORE I take off.
    • In preparation for the trip, I filled our tank with gas, but didn't notice an indicator light on the dash board.  Shortly after starting early in the morning I noticed a light was on.  I didn't want to stop that early in the morning on HyWay 17 so I drove on to Kennewick.  
    • When we got to Kennewick for breakfast I found out that the light meant that my tires needed air.   I literally didn't have any idea what to do. After praying (and almost crying) I got the idea to look up the nearest Honda Dealership on my google map app.
    • That dealership is now a Mercedes dealership, but they were so nice and a young man took my van back and filled the tires.  
    • For some reason, that was very unnerving, I missed Glenn's knowledge and strength so much, but all ended well.
  2. I learned that I need to be more aware of the gas gage (something Glenn always did).
  3. I learned that my driving wasn't as conservative as Glenn's.  
    • He could drive from ML to Mountain Home before filling up again.  Fortunately I looked at the gage before it was too late.  I only had 10 miles of gas in the tank and Mountain Home was nowhere in sight.  Fortunately it come into view shortly and I took the first exit to fill up my tank (usually we took the last exit).  
    • I drove a lot more conservative on the way home, had much better milage.
  4. I learned to put snow tires on BEFORE I travel in the winter.
    • While were we in Spanish Fork, we had 9 inches of snow in one day.  I was fit to be tied. 
    • After a couple of sleepless nights I decided to buy new snow tires with the plan of selling the set that is home in the garage.
  5. I learned how to read weather reports all along our driving route hourly and 10 days in advance.
  6. I learned that the days are very short, and there is hardly enough time to drive the distance from Moses Lake to Logan before it gets dark.
    • Glenn would have easily driven in the dark. 
    • I learned I have to know what time the sun comes up and what time it goes down and when it gets dark.
One thing that I knew and didn't have to learn is that Heavenly Father hears and answers prayers.  I know that I was blessed to be alert and drive carefully.  I know that I was watched over and protected. I know that when we do all that we can, Heavenly Father makes up the difference. 

1 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Learning curve is right! All those little things. Glad you had a good trip that built confidence.