Friday, December 6, 2013

"FIRSTS'



I decided to buy a dining table and chair set.  It was a bitter-sweet experience. Bitter because I am doing it without Glenn.  Sweet  because I love it and I know he would love it and be happy with it too.  This comes in the category of "firsts" that everyone says are the hardest.  Setting up the table and chairs will be a big change to our house---bitter-sweet because I will be changing the house from the way it was when he left.  Given who I am, I will be changing the house a lot and that is something Glenn loved about me, so I know he would want me to go forward.  I was telling my son how hard moving on is for me and he said, "Yes, but this is the hand you were delt, what else can you do?"

We have had a lot of first:
  • Olivia's baby blessing. 
  • Glenn's birthday. 
  • Thanksgiving
  • Driving to Utah on my own (not really on my own, because I know I have had a lot of help).  
  • Then we will have Christmas, nothing like a boat load of firsts.  
    1. We always made almond roca together.
    2. He always read "The best Christmas Pageant Ever" on Christmas Eve (thank heavens we have a recording of him reading it). 
    3. He loved all the decorations and the lights, he said it was so colorful and cozy.
    4. In the evening we would sit and look at the lighted Christmas tree in the dark. 
    5. He had his own special BYU tree which he promised to take down if I would leave it up "just one more week" (he never did, he hated to see it go).
    6. He loved the presents under the tree.
    7. He loved being with the family.
    8. He loved cooking the turkey and de-boning it with Danielle.
    9. He loved to eat the dark meat, especially the leg.
    10. He loved the Savior and celebrating his birth.

2 comments:

Birgitta said...

Why don't you just make me cry! What a thoughtful post. I miss him, I can't imagine all you must feel.

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

This is a thoughtful post. So glad you have a recording of him reading The Best Christmas Pageant. Will you still make almond roca and put up the BYU tree?