Wednesday, August 10, 2011

There is nothing like cousins

"Two Peas in a Pod"
My cousin Diane Kirby Duncan Butler passed away today (August 10, 2011) in a car accident that killed, her husband, herself and one of her granddaughters.  I can honestly say that I have not had a death hit me as hard as Diane's.  We were close cousins, her father was my mother's brother and we were the same age.  I grew up on a farm in Idaho and she grew up in Salt Lake City.  Every year Uncle George would bring his family up to the farm for a visit.  Diane and I grew very close during those years.  When I was in my teens I was able to spend time with her in the summer.  Our husbands were very magnanimous towards us when we would get together, as we would talk and laugh non stop.  As our families got bigger, it was much more difficult to spend time together, yet we always remained close.  The above picture was taken 18 months ago at our aunt's funeral. 

Diane's first husband passed away expectantly Thanksgiving weekend three years ago.  When this picture was taken, she was telling me about a man who wanted to marry her.  She wanted to know what I thought.  Since I have not been in her situation and didn't know the man all I could say is something a widow friend of mine had asked herself when she was in that situation..."how would I feel if I didn't marry him?"  (Thank you Sharon).  Shortly after that they got married.  Funny thing, her husband was my sister's husband cousin (cousins married cousins, small world).


I had 6 cousins my age: Loraine Knapton was killed in a car accident when we were 19, Bruce Jensen died in Viet Nam at the age of 21, Sharon Sorensen Swasey literally dropped dead while she was getting in her car just a few years ago.  Diane passed away today.

We have been planning a cousins trip to Scotland, where our Kirby grandparents came from.  Just today on my way home from visiting my mom I was thinking about Diane and wondering exactly when we were going to go...it makes me sad that we won't get to go together.  I just visited with her last week and told her that we would come and see her on one of our trips to Utah, her last words were, "surprise me!"  Little did I know that Diane would be the one to surprise me.  I will miss Diane.


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, that is so very sad. I'm so sorry, Kathy. What a hard thing that must be for you. So very sad. With love, L&V

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

I'm so sorry, Kathy. Some surprises are not as enjoyable as others, are they? I'm sorry your Scotland trip is interrupted, I'm sorry for the loss of her friendship you'll feel, I'm sad that you are sad.

Kimberly said...

that's terrible. You were so close and I'm sure you're feeling awful right now. I love you mom

SANDERSON / MCCONKIE FAMILY said...

I so hurt for your loss and the pain of all those envolved. So thankful for the pure knowledge of the gospel. We know they are just beyond the veil and on the morrow we will see them again and feel their embrace. Love you dear friend!

Mandy Rasmussen said...

Kathy,
I felt the spirit so strong as I read your post. The spirit testifying of families being together again someday. What a beautiful reunion you will have with your cousin! My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Jill & Seth said...

I am sorry to hear this Kathy. I hope you are doing okay. I'm glad you were able to take the time to visit with her last week. It just make us realize how precious those conversations may be.
Jill

Birgitta said...

We were reading and talking about the accident last night. So sorry. How sad for you and all their families in the accident. I'm sure grateful for the knowledge of eternal families and family reunions beyond the veil.

Danielle said...

My heart aches for you, Mom, as I read your words and think about what you are going through. I love you.

Lyle and Mary: said...

Just catching up on some blogs, and read your heartbreaking news. I'm so sorry for your loss. Thank heavens families continue beyond this earth life. Our condolences.