Yesterday afternoon Clark and I were driving to Walmart. We had "The Spirit of God Like a Fire is Burning" playing on a CD. Clark was singing along, he has a beautiful singing voice. I love to hear him sing, even though sometimes he is a little off key. The fact that he can sing seems like a miracle to me. Clark loves church history and the Doctrine and Covenants. He started telling me the this song was written for the Kirkland Temple dedication that was on March 27, 1836. The song is written by W. W. Phelps. He wants to go to Kirkland on a mission...is that before or after or while he is in Nauvoo on a mission?
Clark gets excited to go to LDS books stores, he collects books on LDS history, particularly books about the Prophet Joseph Smith. (We have a hard time keeping any of those books in our own library). He found a set of DVD's by Truman Madson discussing Church History and he watches them by the hour. In the car yesterday he went on to tell me that section 112 was to Thomas B. Marsh. It is rather humbling to be taught by my 24 year old son who has Down Syndrome.
Clark was able to ride a people for people bus out to the college and attend the institute class out there this past spring. The class was The Doctrine and Covenants. The first day he went, the lesson was on The Hauns Mill Massacre. Clark stood up and told the class the story. The second day the lesson was on Zion's Camp. Clark can't be restrained from leading the singing, he has perfect rhythm and when given the choice will choose "The Spirit of God".
He brings such a special spirit to our home, he spends a lot of time in his room watching DVD's about church history. The minute our conference CD's come, he confiscates them. He carries lesson manuals and one of his Church History books on the bus to work and to church. He has an iphone and can locate scriptures and hymns very quickly.
Lest you think he is about to be translated, I must say the he is still a "kid" and can be frustrating at times, but that being said, he is truly a valiant spirit. We await the day when the veil will be lifted and we are allowed to see his magnificent spirit. Meanwhile I feel inadequate to the task of being his mom. Times like yesterday when we were together and he was telling me things I couldn't remember bring me up short and help me remember what a special person we have been privileged to have the stewardship to raise. We will be riding his coat tails in the next life as he is invited to "come in unto the marriage of the Lamb and partake of the supper of the Lord, prepared for the great day to come". (D&C 58:11)

6 comments:
More than once I have turned the time over to Clark to tell the story. His memory is fascinating to me. What sticks. STICKS. I have been taught a great deal by him again and again and again. Thanks for letting him be a community child.
He humbles all of us. Truly the outward appearance doesn't tell the story. However his outward countenance speaks to those who open their eyes and then they are truly blest as he brings forth the inner joy as he shares his special gifts and knowledge.
I concur...thank you for sharing him with the rest of us!
What a special young man he truly is! L&V
this is the sweetest post---thank you, Kathy!
His knowledge of church history is amazing. I used to be awed by his musicality (if that is spelled right) but he keeps adding things that amaze me. He is growing all the time and to me he seems to be picking up speed in his quest for knowledge. Last month while hometeaching I was telling some story and wasn't sure about details so Clark jumped in and told the story correctly. I wish he could go on a mission to Nauvoo, he would be a spectacular missionary.
Thank you for sharing him with us.
Post a Comment