A crowd of friends and other people were waiting to welcome them at the airport, complete with a brass band and flags waving. I was first off the plane because they had the veterans get off last. It was amazing to walk through that reception crown and feel the honor that they were waiting to give these veterans. It took a while, but I remembered that I could take pictures with my camera! Wish I had a picture from the front of this crowd. I called Glenn and told him that he would want to come in the airport to see this reception. We decided that it would be worth getting a ticket at the baggage claim parking for him to leave the car and come it!
veterans when they come down because the crowd was so thick.
However, we were able to mingle with them.
I stopped and thanked this gentleman, he was so sweet,
he insisted on a hug, and I insisted on a picture!
I stopped and thanked this gentleman, he was so sweet,
he insisted on a hug, and I insisted on a picture!
These are my guys! Shorty and Glenn. Glenn went around and visited with as many men as he could. Asking where they served. Shorty was on the beach at Normandy and ended up in Poland. He was able to save an entire class room of young Nazi boys who were about to get blasted by an American tanker. That is the thing that he is the proudest of. Let me tell you, he was a tough 96 year old. He had to temper his language while we were talking on the plane. It was a joy for me to hear his war stories. He liked me to, he wanted to take me home. I told him that I was already in a committed relationship. He told my husband that he wanted to take me home! But we held out.
The name of this program is HONOR FLIGHT. If you know a veteran who has not been back to Washington DC to see the World War II memorial, you can Google Honor Flight and it will take you to the web page and you can make an application for him or her to take this flight. It is inspiring. My guy "Shorty" said that this was the first time since he got home from the war that anyone had done anything to honor him. I encourage all of us to make sure that we thank our service men for the things the sacrifice to serve us.
The name of this program is HONOR FLIGHT. If you know a veteran who has not been back to Washington DC to see the World War II memorial, you can Google Honor Flight and it will take you to the web page and you can make an application for him or her to take this flight. It is inspiring. My guy "Shorty" said that this was the first time since he got home from the war that anyone had done anything to honor him. I encourage all of us to make sure that we thank our service men for the things the sacrifice to serve us.
6 comments:
THANK YOU Kathy for posting this! We so miss our own veterans since their passing. We have always know great men to honor each year. The last couple years since their passing we try to find and visit someone that served our country and thank them. There are not too many from WWII still living.
Hoooray for you! Oh, what a grand, grand, grand thing. I'm so glad you stepped out of your comfort zone so that the rest of us could hear about this.
What a wonderful trip! This is a memory you will hold dear for a long time!
Good for you! What a great experience. So glad they are being honored. I think of our WW II Veterans who were in lst Ward: Wade Hickman and Jay Chapman. It is amazing to hear their stories. How grateful we should be!
Awesome! Thanks for sharing, and thanks for staying committed:)
Найти лучшее: [url=http://downfet.ugu.pl/otlf.html]скачать U.S. Most Wanted[/url]
Post a Comment