Sunday, May 2, 2010

"The Stomach is a Hard Dish to Wash!"

Do you have any quotes that your mother used to say? Quotes that at the time you didn't understand, or had little meaning?

Every once in a while my kids will tell me a "quote" that I used say that didn't make any sense to them. (I can't remember which ones at the moment.)

Yesterday, I experienced one of the quotes that my mother used to say, that her mother used to say..."the stomach is a hard did to wash". I can hear it plainly as we speak!

My mom and her mother were very particular about the food they bought and the food they served. Food had to be high quality and prepared right. Food was also a means of nurturing, not only the body, but the soul.

Yesterday our family went to the city wide clean up from 8:00 to 10:00. We were then invited back at 11:00 for a lunch. I had the impression not to go back...but I went. Michael's on the Lake catered the lunch of hot dogs, hamburgers, potato salad, chips, cookies, and a drink.

I decided to eat a hot dog. UGH! Clark had one and his looked great. When mine was served, it didn't look great! My head must have been in a fog, because I know I was impressed NOT to eat it. But did I listen to yet another warning? NO!

About 1:00 I started feeling sick. Sick! Really sick! My husband suggested that I go throw up, which I have made myself do before when I ate something that made me sick. But who wants to do that? No me! I suffered until 5:00, at which time I thought that maybe some toast would settle my poor ailing stomach. NO! It accentuated the negative!

This post could also be about listening to that warning voice. Had I done that, my day would have turned out as I had planned, and I would have done yard work all afternoon instead of moaning, groaning and writhing in pain.

Finally at 5:30 I did the unthinkable, cleaned out that dish. Now, I confirm..."the stomach is a hard dish to wash!"

6 comments:

Birgitta said...

OH DEAR! I'm so sorry! I didn't understand the quote until you explained it at the end - and yes, it makes total sense! :( I hope you felt better after you cleaned it.

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

What a funny idiom. I've never heard it, but after you explained what it means I'll never forget it!

Deanna/Mimi said...

Twas not a way to be rewarded for your good works. But glad your "works" are good and clean now. I am in awe of you and your family though for taking the opportunity to beautify our town. Cannot help but add one of my little sayings..."two hands make light work"..meaning the more helping, the quicker the job is done and your involvement in the community project proved that. Keep up the good works including the "dish" so hard to clean.

Tamara said...

Sayings that ring in my mind are
"If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." "If it's worth doing, i's worth doing well." "A stitch in time saves 9." And the list goes on and on. So sorry that you ended up not feeling well. . . . .but was grateful to see you at Church today.

Heather said...

Kirk is chuckling so hard right now! Although we are very sorry for your bad dog experience.. it was rather funny to read about.

Glad you're feeling better. Bad dog!!

Kristi said...

I'm so sorry! I hate feeling that way!