If you been following along this week, you know that last Friday Glenn's eyes started to give him grief. Red, sore, itchy, runny and extremely sensitive to light.
Monday was bad, he was given a steroid prescription along with artificial tears.
Tuesday was bad.
Wednesday was good.
Thursday his eyes took a turn for the worst, the eye doctor worked him in, upped the strength of the steroid and made an appointment for us to go back this morning for a second opinion. That night Glenn got a very wonderful priesthood blessing from his colleague, President Baker. The steroids worked their magic and he slept well.
Friday morning (this morning, which feels like yesterday) we went in to see the ophthalmologist for that second opinion and this is what happened:
Both Doctors diagnosed his condition as "Peripheral Ulcerative Keratitis". That is a degeneration of the cornea. It is caused by; an infection or a bactetria; or is chemically induced or the autoimmune system is attaching both eyes (which would be very rare). They felt very strongly that it was autoimmune caused and way over their heads.
So, they called a doctor at the Harbor View Medical Center Eye Clinic who agreed to see us today. We didn't know if we would be staying in Seattle or not, so we came home, packed some food Glenn can eat, some clothes, medicines, scriptures, computer, etc and off we went. We could not have been able to get ready if Kimberly had not come over and helped like a trouper! Our appointment was between 2:00 and 3:00. We made it by 3:00.
Glenn was examined by Dr. Wu, who confirmed the PUK (nice enitials) diagnosis. But he doesn't think it is autoimmune caused which we think is good. He thinks it is the Chemo, although there are no reported side effects like this. He took some blood samples, measured the cornea, took pictures of it, prescribed the same steroids that Glenn got Monday and antibiotic plus lubricant eye drops and sent us home. He is requesting Dr. Roth to examine him every day until next Friday when we will go back and see him.
We arrived home at 8:45 PM which is exactly 12 hours from the time we left to go see our local Doctor in Moses Lake!
Big day! Big week. We are glad to be home and we will SEE what the future brings!
Meatball minestrone soup in the crockpot
7 months ago
8 comments:
Oh Kathy, what a miserable week! I'm so sorry that Glenn's eyes have been so bad. Insult to injury if you ask me. I dropped off my 5 little bottles of Systane in your mailbox. I hope they help, even if it's just the thought that gives relief.
Love,
BRENDA
I am so sorry. You both have been through so very much. I am thankful however that the doctor at Harborview was able to ascertain what is going on and that Glenn will have daily care through Dr. Roth. This too shall pass my dear friend. Hang in there. I send you a multitude of hugs and warm thoughts.
What a nightmare! My dad called last night and he started telling me about Glenn's eyes and I said, "Dad, I already know all about it. I read Aunt Kathy's blog." You are so amazing to keep updating regularly in the midst of everything. We continue to pray for you every day. Love, Sarah
That helps to know that the Seattle doctor would prescribe the same drugs. I wish I could help drive for you...it sounds like a marathon. Hang on...it's got to start getting better. When I shop I look for something to send you to make you feel better...don't think it comes in a box? I will continue to pray.
Oh my gosh. I am so sorry that you've had this terrible eye thing to deal with along with everything else!! We do pray that the doctors have it figured out right and that the medication and their expertise will have his eyes healed soon. You must be so worn out and drained. We pray for you with all our hearts and wish there was something we could do for you. is there something? L&V
Who'd have guessed you'd have this, too? Surely things that could go wrong will eventually run out.
Thinking of you all.
Kathy I just arrived home and went straight to the blog to see how you were. This is NOT what I wanted to see!!! We need a nice
L O N G visit. Talk to you soon.
Kathy, Telsie called yesterday to share that you were on your way to Seattle and to please say extra prayers. We attended the temple today (along with many other 10th warders) and I know many of us were saying extra prayers for you. Grateful you are making some progress and that you were able to come home. Sometimes I know you wonder, "What next?" President Hinckley used to remind us, "The best is yet to come." We believe this too and know better things are on the horizon. Hugs!
Post a Comment