Friday, March 12, 2010

One Cake Sheet Cake Your Cake No Cake!

It's all about communication.

March 1st was Elder Christensen's 21st birthday. I was posting, using a Dr. Seuss theme. (Dr Seuss' birthday is March 2nd.) Elder Christensen said, Oh his birthday is one day after mine. It was about 4:00 in the afternoon. Elder Christensen had only been living here a week, not long enough for us to learn each others communication styles. I said why didn't some one tell me today was your birthday?

I told him if I had known it was his birthday, I would have baked him a cake. I asked if he would like me to bake a Texas Sheet Cake for him. He said he would, but he seemed a little less than enthusiastic. They were leaving in a half hour, not enough time to have it done before they left. They were going to a member's house for dinner and he didn't know if they were going to have cake or not. I told him I would bake one and it would be here when they came home. End of discussion.

Keep in mind that March 1st Glenn's eyes were very red, I was under deres, but I sacrificed and made the cake. We waited for them to come home. They got in about 9:30, said "mmm, we smell cake"...they were stuffed to the eye balls. They come in with two other missionaries, so there were four elders, enough for a party, I thought. But no...they were too full! Too full for cake! I can't relate, I have NEVER been too full for cake. What were they thinking?

We went to bed at 10:00. They came upstairs and said good night. That should have been my first clue that they wanted cake, but I missed it.

Next morning, I didn't see them. I wanted them to know that they could have cake any time, so I cut it in pieces, gave Clark a piece. They didn't have any. Our family would eat cake for breakfast if it were out on the bar with a piece out, but no, they didn't eat the cake.

I had just signed a contract to not eat sugar, there is a Texas Sheet Cake on my kitchen island, that nobody seems to want, but me.

So in one giant moment, I covered a piece of cardboard with tin foil and whisked the cake over to the Seminary Building, where I knew it will be appreciated and cause no harm!

That's my side of the story!

Elder Christensen's side of the story is just hilarious, I wish you could see him tell it with all the facial expressions and the body language. Oh the body language!

So after they had come in for the evening and settled in, they came upstairs to eat cake. But we had gone to bed and they didn't know how to tell us they were there for cake. So they went to bed. They didn't dare eat the cake, because he thought that we might want to sing to him or something.

Next morning we were never in the kitchen at the same time to discuss the cake. They saw the piece taken out, but in his family, you didn't just help yourself to cake. I can't remember what the consequence was but it was drastic, like no cake for three months. Poor Kid!

They go out and put in a hard mornings work, all the while thinking that they would have cake for lunch! (I'm dying by now as he is telling me this story.)

They are really looking forward to cake. Glenn and I aren't home, Elder Christensen comes in the kitchen...no cake! He panics, what is he going to tell Elder Collier? He starts a desperate search, opens all the cupboards, looks in the cookie jar, opens the refrigerator and even looks in the trash...no cake! (Poor Kid!)

The cake pan is washed clean and they think I am mad. Oh the agony. They try to call, I don't have my phone, so I don't answer and now they really think I am mad!

When we come home, Elder Collier comes out to the car to test the water. He says something crazy like, Elder Christensen was really glad I made him a cake, and they were sorry that they didn't eat it...I said that is was OK, I took the cake over to the seminary building.

I seriously I don't know why I didn't wait until their lunch time, except that they don't eat lunch here every day and I didn't know they were coming home.

Even though it makes us laugh when Elder Christensen tells the story, I do feel bad. When I told my sister this story, she said it sounded just like something I would do! I don't see how I could be that predictable!

Anyway, I promised to make him a Texas Sheet Cake next Monday. I hope for redemption.

5 comments:

Deanna/Mimi said...

Great story! You and the Elder will both remember it for a long time. From now on the Elder will think of you every time he sees a Texas Sheet Cake. Can't you just see it now when he goes home...his mom will have a Texas Sheet Cake waiting for him. You are such a treasure Kathy to be a "mom" to the missionaries. All that you are going through right now and yet you still give of yourself not only to your own family but to all those to whom you see in need. I am so in awe of you. God bless you...you are a very righteous woman.

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

"But no...they were too full! Too full for cake! I can't relate, I have NEVER been too full for cake. What were they thinking?"

Oh Kathy! You make me laugh. I'm with your sister. This has you sprinkled the whole way through it.

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing this delightful story. With all you had going on and you still had timme to make a cake. . . . .And CONGRATS on being so good and following through on your contract "not to eat sugar." I've never been too full to eat cake either. It was great to see you last night. Clark stole the show with his lines and actions. We are all so blessed to know and love all of you!

Danielle said...

Oh, this story gets better every time I hear it. I LOVE IT!

I am especially glad that to hear you say at the end that you are making him another cake. Put it on his bed when it is done!

Birgitta said...

LOL!!! You are pretty predictable, Kathy! :) That is a hilarious story - I loved reading both sides!