
Woke up this morning and saw a Red Winged Black Bird in the Weeping Cherry Tree right by our kitchen window! He would take a bite and "ok-a-leeee" "konk-ka-ree". You can listen here.
Yesterday I heard a cluster of them and couldn't identify them or their sound. I was thrilled this morning when one of them was near enough to watch and identify. I have always loved birds, but I never enjoyed them as much as I am enjoying them now. I see each experience like this as a tender mercy.
- Each pair of Red-winged Blackbirds raise 2-3 broods per season. Each time they build a new nest, which keeps the nest from becoming infected with parasites that could kill the baby birds.
- During migration the Red-winged Blackbird can travel at over 30 mph.
- The Red-winged Blackbird is native to North America.
- A group of blackbirds has many collective nouns, including a "cloud", "cluster", and "merl" of blackbirds.
5 comments:
Is that book by Clark Bronson? I have that book too. When I worked at KBYU for a short time I met him. He gave me his books. I LOVE the drawing and love bringing that book out to see the beautiful birds.
Thank you Kathy. I too love birds and the website, where you could hear the bird you were talking about, was wonderful and I put it in my favorites immediately. Can hardly wait to show the site to my son Brad who is a bird lover also. This world might be going in a direction we don't like, but our Father in Heaven gave us nature to cheer us, strengthen us,and be in awe of His wonders. He has blessed us abundantly. Thank you for sharing your feelings..they touched me.
Genial post and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you on your information.
Paul bought that book through Amazon and put up bird feeders on the bluff to watch them. I love watching birds...because he loved watching them. Thank you again! You made me smile!!!
Thanks Kathy for sharing so many of your tender mercies with us. We love birds and watching them too. What a JOY that spring is coming and the earth is reawakening. Soon you will be out in your wonderful yard makng it gorgeous!
Post a Comment