Sunday, February 28, 2010

What does a 65 year old woman--whose husband just retired and is going though cancer treatment--do?

  • Study and study to learn any way possible to help Glenn heal with natural medicine as well as traditional medicine.
  • Help and comfort Glenn when he has any side effects from the Chemo or any other discomfort, sometimes that is full time. I love to serve him, he is so grateful.
  • Go with Glenn to all of his Doctor appointments, take notes, ask questions.
  • I even went in for a physical this past week. My blood tests were good and so were my heart test! Good for me!
  • Listen to uplifting music "Peace Like a River" and "Consider the Lily's." The best of MTC!
  • Visit with our children and grandchildren, including skype, it has been a life saver to see our two new babies, who we love and care for very much. They have sent the sweetest pictures.
  • Relax in the living room visiting with Glenn and Clark.
  • Receive visits from friends and an occasional go out to lunch with friends.
  • This week, I signed a contract with a friend that we will not eat sugar, eat small portions and eat plenty of friuts and veggies. It is a 4 month contract, good luck to both of us. Our reward is a trip with our spouses!
  • Then I will go clothes shopping.
  • Enjoy good visits with Glenn's tax clients, who have become dear friends through the years. It is fun so see life from all those different perspectives.
  • Work on my church calling, which is teaching the 16 and 17 young women on Sunday, and sometimes I make it to the week day activity with them.
  • Cook everything we eat from scratch -- Glenn is happy for me to make a pot of soup that he can dip into several times a day-- (Thank you very much) (well I don't make yogurt and things like tha from scratch!)
  • I have tried some new recipes. The latest was Cream Cheese Chicken Soup with French Bread Rolls. From My Kitchen Cafe. Most of her recipes are from scratch, and she tries to stay away from processed foods, which is what we do.
  • Make at least two protein shakes a day chock full of nutrients for Glenn.
  • Make fruit and veggie juice with our juicer at least once a day -- he assembles the juicer.
  • Encourage Glenn to drink water often (I do sound like a nag, I am trying to be pleasant).
  • Keep track of our expenses, bank accounts, pay bills, lots of online banking,
  • Blog, read blogs and email. I love this way of keeping in touch! It is a life line for me.
  • Clean house. Do dishes. Do dishes, I even have help with the dishes, but I do so many dishes...it is all that cooking and all that eating.
  • Do Laundry.
  • Find corners to organize (finding them isn't hard).
  • House the full time missionaries who literally surprise me every time they come up the stairs to eat or come in from a day out at work!
  • Keep up with my aging mother through phone calls and visits with my sister, who is caring for her.
  • Visit with my siblings and Glenn's family.
  • Read good books and magazines!
  • Journal every day, a habit that I recommend highly. I should do a blog post on journaling.
  • Read my scriptures.
  • Draw strength from many many prayers a day.
  • Do a thirty minute work out at least 5 days a week.
  • Keep up on the grocery shopping, usually con familia.
  • Occasionally tend our little grand daughter who lives in town.
  • I find several things therapeutic, some of which I have listed above; good music, good friends, clean house, colorful flowers, therapeutic aroma's, scriptures, journaling, prayer, positive thoughts, good relaxing visits with Glenn (planning a cruise lol), hot showers, walks in the sunshine, workouts, listening to the birds, enjoying the sunrise and the sun set and watching children play.
  • Soon, very soon I will spend a little time outdoors in the flower beds and that will be therapeutic!
So all this time, I was thinking that the days come and they go and I really don't get much done, the truth is that I really DON'T get much done, but I do a lot! (Now that was funny!) Now you know me really well!

5 comments:

Kimberly said...

Wow. It sounds busier than I realized. I think that by definition, doing something means your getting something done. You work pretty hard and the results are often hard to see. Everyone really appreciates it though!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

I WONDERED what a 65 year old woman whose husband just retired and is going through cancer did! I love the details and your attitude.

Deanna/Mimi said...

Please bottle your energy and positive attitude and send some my way. You are absolutely amazing.

SANDERSON / MCCONKIE FAMILY said...

I have often thought about our pioneer fore-mothers(?)and their daily tasks that were so mundance but resulted in miracles and strong heritages. I am so glad you journal. It has been such a blessing in my life...especially thae harder times that in retrospect were the biggest leaps in my testimony and deep faith. Luv ya Kathy!!!

Unknown said...

Thanks, Kathy for keepig us updated on your journey to conquer this cancer. We are inspired and uplifted each time we read one of your blogs. . . . . . .You accomplish so much, touch so many, and CONGRATS on your good reports from your doctor. YOU DO A LOT! We love you! (Good luck for you on your contract. . . . .how wonderful that a friend is inspiring you along the path too).