Monday, January 18, 2010

A GIFT


I was visiting with Glenn yesterday morning, in our living room. All of a sudden I saw an unusual bird in the branches of the tree just out side the window. He had pale red under his wings, a black bib and spots on his chest. He was also there with a mate!!!! It gave me such a sense of joy to see these birds. I knew that the chances of me seeing them at that very moment were very slim, which made the spotting of them even more precious. So of course, I ran for my camera and this is the picture I took.

I accept seeing these birds as a gift from our Heavenly Father. I know that He loves us, that He is aware of us and that sometimes He lets know this by these sweet tender mercies. I love beautiful sun sets, sun rises, flowers, birds, waterfalls and all kinds of nature. They please me and rest my sole.

Danielle and I searched and searched to find what kind of a bird it is. We checked the Internet and a book I have from my father called "Birds of North America". Danielle finally found it for me in his book. Then we were able to find it on the Internet. It is a Norther Flicker - Red Shafted race. (That is of the woodpecker family). If you are interested in reading about these birds and listening to their sounds you can click here.

So, I am all serious about this, and you can jolly well bet that my kids will find a way to make fun of it, either to my face are to each other. We were trying to tell our oldest son about the bird and he couldn't understand the name, it is really a long name! He told me he didn't understand the words I was saying and thought that I said, "Northern Chocolate Encrusted Variety Duck Billed Dinosaur". So we have gone from the sublime to the ridiculous. Welcome to the family!

6 comments:

SANDERSON / MCCONKIE FAMILY said...

I so agree Kathy. I can just absorb nature and fill my batteries being charged and my purpose renewed. Kim had a male and female geese in his backyard that he used to elaborate on when we were dating. He noted how plain the female was and how decked out the male was. Being the smart man he is...he pointed out how it is so the opposite in human life. Nature testifies that there is a God and there is love and order on the planet. Even when it feels like it is all upside down sometimes. Love Ya…Sharon

Anonymous said...

I love to see an unusual bird and your visitor was amazing....which reminds me of a STORY....one of the few I didn't tell you last week! When I was about 10 or 11, we ran across an injured, but not unusual, bird--a magpie--when we were on a family outing. My dad let me take it home for a pet to nurse back to health. I named it Maggie and carried it around perched on my finger. We placed it in the weeping willow tree for the night a day or two later, but in the morning it had died and was on the ground. I cried and cried. I had finally had the experience of pet ownership, and I was broken hearted that Maggie deserted me so soon. Not a real gripping story. Hmmm...I wonder if it was a defining moment. I'm glad you are so good at noticing tender mercies and reminding me of how oft they come.

Love,
Carolyn

Heather said...

That is a beautiful bird.. It truly was a gift!

That Jeremy is a funny kid I tell ya!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

I love that you saw it for the gift it was.

One more good reason that Danielle is with you this week.

I love "you can jolly well bet my kids will find a way to make fun of it". What a fun family.

Anonymous said...

I am certain I heard you say it was a Chocolate Variety of some kind!

Tamara said...

What an amazing gift. Thanks for sharing with us. . . . . .Those tender mercies keep us going strong.