Last night I told Glenn that nothing in my life had prepared me for him to have cancer at this time in our lives. We have been looking forward to retirement and all that that means. As I have reflected on that statement, I realize that nothing could be farther from the truth!
- I was raised in the beautiful Lost River Valley in Idaho. we were surrounded by mountains. One of my favorite memories of girls camp was climbing to the top of one of those mountains. We could see forever. The thing that struck me with such force then and has many times through my life is that there was one mountain range after the other. All we could see, besides the valley below were mountains and more mountains! It is a visual that has never left me.

- When we were young marrieds our first home had the washer and dryer in a hall way just off the kitchen. I decided to wall paper that small cubby. Since this was my first time to wall paper, it was quite a preocess; budgeting for the wall paper, choosing the wall paper, learning how to wall paper, finding time to wall paper with 3 small, busy children. One day I did it! I stood back, admired the job and was very well pleased! I had not fully finished admiring my job when I started thinking of other places in the house that I could wall paper. At that moment, I remembered the experience I had had climbing the mountain when I was at girls camp. I thought about goals and I could see that when we set a goal and reach it, there is another goal to accomplish, just like that mountain range...another mountain to climb.
- Though out our life we have climbed a series of mountains that have been building our character and giving us courage and spiritual strength to go through what we are experiencing now.
We thought that when we had finished with chemo, radiation, and surgery that we would have reached the top of the mountain and be able to rest in the green valley of healing as we prepared for the retirement mountains we have been planning on climb.ing What ever...there will always be mountains to climb, and that is a good thing! I am glad that my life has prepared me for this unexpected mountain.
6 comments:
I love you Kathy! I love the way you think maybe because I too look at the mountains and find strength. Kim and I both love hiking. I told him the other day while sitting above the Draper Temple that I hoped Heaven was just like this. He smiled and said maybe. I just know that as soon as we climb a mountain (here in Utah) there is always another one I hadn't seen or even known existed. Several of the General Authorities go hiking here too. I pray that we can all be your walking stick to lean on and I am willing to be your hiking boots. Lets get to it!!! Love Ya Always
What great thoughts, Kathy. You're so right in that you've been prepared for this day long before.
Here's to another mountain to climb and another grand view when you reach the top.
What a great thought, Kathy. I grew up in the mountains too and could see one mountain range after another, but never thought that deeply about it. You and Jane Payne should write a book! Love you, Loye
One of the highlights of my day is to read your blog. . . . .as inspiring as the scriptures. You help us to realize what is truly important in this life. Yes, you have been prepared in many ways along your journey. . . . .And ponder all the people you have brought closer to the truth through this experience. Can you picture life before and you agreeing to go through some of these things because of the benefits for you, your family, and friends? Many more people know about the gospel, know more about faith, and prayers because of you We love you!
I am in awe of your words and how you have used them to understand why we are here, the teaching that comes forth from your lips and your heart. Thank you for sharing "the mountains and valleys" of our lives. Beautifully said. I will never look at another mountains or mountain range again without thinking of you and what I learned. I am going to try to copy off your post and read and reread it often...it is most comforting. May your next mountain just be a little hill.
Post a Comment