My first introduction to "The Messiah" was in 1962, my first semester as Ricks College. I was in a choir class with Brother Robinson as the director. We were to present a few numbers from "The Messiah", he asked the class who had heard of it before that day. Several students raised their hands, I was not one of them.
This is what I remember from that first performance:
This is what I remember from that first performance:
- Singing "For unto us a child it born"
- My very good childhood friend, Olani Beal sang one of the bass solo's, even though he wasn't in our class.
- People from my ward 90 miles West of Rexburg were among the audience.
The next time I sung in it, we were in Meridian, Idaho. I have no memories except driving to one rehearsal, so maybe, I just went to one practice and realized that I couldn't make the commitment...
A couple of years after we moved to Moses Lake, about 1980, I had the chance to sing, under the direction of Mark Fancis. That was one of the most amazing experiences I have had. The first year, Glenn didn't come out and sing with us, but after that I was able to persuade him to give it try, and he was hooked! We were able to sing for Mark 5 or 6 times. At practices, he divided us into sections, and practiced those runs until we had them in our heads. He also arranged us according to the tone quality of our voices, so we had a great blend of voices. I have been sensitive to that ever since. There were so many people from our stake, in those performances. We made such great memories and great friendships. During the 1983 performance, I was pregnant with Kimberly.
Our children love this oratorio. I think they have all sung it at one time or another, except for Jeremy, but he appreciates it. We took all of them to every performance when they were at home. Clark sat through many a practice and has known the songs since birth!
One year Jim and Kathy Frank took the challenge of conducting the choir and playing the piano for a Stake Production. I have to say that was one of my favorite performances. Glenn sang the first two tenor solos: "Comfort Ye" and "Every Valley Shall be Exalted". I fell in love with him all over again! He has sung those solos three or four times
We have sung in Ephrata for Chris Youngbird. She brought new terms and expressions to the music. We really enjoyed singing for her, even though we had to drive to Ephrata to practice and perform.
For the past several years, we have performed it every other year, under the direction of Pat Patterson, who has become a very dear friend! I missed one of the years, because Clark was at stage where he just didn't want to go to the rehearsals.
The climax came in 2006, when several members of our community took the opportunity to go back to New York City and sing in Carnegie Hall! I need to write a whole post about that. We had 4 hour rehearsals, and the time just flew by! That was a thrill of a life time.
We are singing in it again this year, Glenn, Clark, Kimberly and myself. We have missed the first few rehearsals, but we have been listening and singing as we have gone back and forth from Seattle!
One of our favorite, incredible experiences was about 22 years ago. As we were backing out of our driveway to go to Spokane, we turned on the radio just they started the overture. We sang along, all the way to Spokane. Just as we reached our destination they were finishing the last Amen in the Amen Chorus. On that very same trip, as we backed out of the driveway to come home, we turned on the radio and they were just starting the beginning of the Messiah. They played it all the way home, we sang along and they finished the last of the Amen Chorus just as we pulled into our driveway! True story!
A couple of years after we moved to Moses Lake, about 1980, I had the chance to sing, under the direction of Mark Fancis. That was one of the most amazing experiences I have had. The first year, Glenn didn't come out and sing with us, but after that I was able to persuade him to give it try, and he was hooked! We were able to sing for Mark 5 or 6 times. At practices, he divided us into sections, and practiced those runs until we had them in our heads. He also arranged us according to the tone quality of our voices, so we had a great blend of voices. I have been sensitive to that ever since. There were so many people from our stake, in those performances. We made such great memories and great friendships. During the 1983 performance, I was pregnant with Kimberly.
Our children love this oratorio. I think they have all sung it at one time or another, except for Jeremy, but he appreciates it. We took all of them to every performance when they were at home. Clark sat through many a practice and has known the songs since birth!
One year Jim and Kathy Frank took the challenge of conducting the choir and playing the piano for a Stake Production. I have to say that was one of my favorite performances. Glenn sang the first two tenor solos: "Comfort Ye" and "Every Valley Shall be Exalted". I fell in love with him all over again! He has sung those solos three or four times
We have sung in Ephrata for Chris Youngbird. She brought new terms and expressions to the music. We really enjoyed singing for her, even though we had to drive to Ephrata to practice and perform.
For the past several years, we have performed it every other year, under the direction of Pat Patterson, who has become a very dear friend! I missed one of the years, because Clark was at stage where he just didn't want to go to the rehearsals.
The climax came in 2006, when several members of our community took the opportunity to go back to New York City and sing in Carnegie Hall! I need to write a whole post about that. We had 4 hour rehearsals, and the time just flew by! That was a thrill of a life time.
We are singing in it again this year, Glenn, Clark, Kimberly and myself. We have missed the first few rehearsals, but we have been listening and singing as we have gone back and forth from Seattle!
One of our favorite, incredible experiences was about 22 years ago. As we were backing out of our driveway to go to Spokane, we turned on the radio just they started the overture. We sang along, all the way to Spokane. Just as we reached our destination they were finishing the last Amen in the Amen Chorus. On that very same trip, as we backed out of the driveway to come home, we turned on the radio and they were just starting the beginning of the Messiah. They played it all the way home, we sang along and they finished the last of the Amen Chorus just as we pulled into our driveway! True story!
5 comments:
I saw the performance ONCE - years ago when I attended Snow. I would love to hear you sing!
It gives me goose bumps just hearing you talk about it. It is an amazing work to sit and listen to, and a breath-taking work to sing in!
I am soooo glad that you guys get to be in the Messiah this year. Here, here...to a bit of normalcy in a topsy-turvy bump in the road!!
What an amazing post about a fabulous musical creation. The first time I ever played for our seminary to sing "The Messiah" was by default. The regular pianist did not show up and I was on. . . . .after that I practiced a lot more to be better prepared.
Please let us know when you will be performing, so we can attend this year.
So happy to have you back in Moses Lake and knowing that you will not have to travel to Seattle tomorrow. What a delight it was to meet your precious Heather!!!!!
Happy Sabbath!
I loved sitting by you at church and hearing your sweet voice. I will be "one happy camper" if I get a better singing voice after the resurrection. Now I just marvel at those who have that talent! I am glad you are doing the Messiah! What a gift that is to the whole community!
Post a Comment