I am always saying to my children, "say it the way you want it!" Words are a very powerful things.
When I was a young women, I, like most young women thought about the home I would have, some day. I remember saying, "I would either like to have a very big house, like a Southern Mansion, or a small cottage type house." As a young women I would also say that I was going to keep my house clean and organized. Add to that I said I wanted 7 children!
As it turns out, we live in a "not so big house". We lived here with all 7 of our children. When all of our children were here, we had 6 bedrooms. I had the rule: "If it doesn't fit in our closets and drawers, we have too much stuff". We did that, we fit! The house, although some times messy was not cluttered with stuff that didn't have a place. You know the rule: "A place for everything and everything in it's place."
We had years and years of the kids going off to college and missions and coming home for the summers. We loved those times and we all still fit! There always seemed to be room for their stuff!
When it finally became just the three of us, our stuff exploded. We began to fill each closet and drawer with our stuff; sewing/quilting projects, out dated record (yes I said record) collections, tax client files, my skinny clothes, memorabilia, stuff, photos, boxes and boxes of photos, boxes and binders of family history. We also moved our food storage in from the garage and took up two empty closets! With all of that we still fit...just barely!!!!!!
Then along came the missionaries......

I don't know why it is, but I am having the hardest time getting a handle on our stuff. But I am trying. I have three major areas of concern:
When I was a young women, I, like most young women thought about the home I would have, some day. I remember saying, "I would either like to have a very big house, like a Southern Mansion, or a small cottage type house." As a young women I would also say that I was going to keep my house clean and organized. Add to that I said I wanted 7 children!
As it turns out, we live in a "not so big house". We lived here with all 7 of our children. When all of our children were here, we had 6 bedrooms. I had the rule: "If it doesn't fit in our closets and drawers, we have too much stuff". We did that, we fit! The house, although some times messy was not cluttered with stuff that didn't have a place. You know the rule: "A place for everything and everything in it's place."
We had years and years of the kids going off to college and missions and coming home for the summers. We loved those times and we all still fit! There always seemed to be room for their stuff!
When it finally became just the three of us, our stuff exploded. We began to fill each closet and drawer with our stuff; sewing/quilting projects, out dated record (yes I said record) collections, tax client files, my skinny clothes, memorabilia, stuff, photos, boxes and boxes of photos, boxes and binders of family history. We also moved our food storage in from the garage and took up two empty closets! With all of that we still fit...just barely!!!!!!
Then along came the missionaries......I don't know why it is, but I am having the hardest time getting a handle on our stuff. But I am trying. I have three major areas of concern:
- Our master bedroom closet, which we have been working on the past two Saturdays and hope to get conquered next Saturday. Thank you Kimberly!
- Our photos, which I am taking to Seattle to work on when we are there.
- Our desk areas, I am working on that mentally, but haven't arrived.
I have always been one to take sacks and sack of stuff to Good Will, and that is what I am doing now. Wish me luck on getting control of our stuff. I feel an urgency to do this because both Glenn and I are planning on getting a master's degree. Our home will have to be completely organized or I will not be able to concentrate.
Closets, drawers, papers and photos are my nemesis, I do well on the surface, underneath is a different story. I have always thought that when they see that big movie in the sky, it would be chronological, but looking under the surface here, I am thinking it may just be a jumbled up mix of life's happenings, like my photos, closets and desks!
SO THIS IS HOW I WANT IT: When Glenn is officially retired and healed from cancer my closets and drawers will be organized, our photos will be organized and our desks will be ready for the challenge of our masters programs.
Closets, drawers, papers and photos are my nemesis, I do well on the surface, underneath is a different story. I have always thought that when they see that big movie in the sky, it would be chronological, but looking under the surface here, I am thinking it may just be a jumbled up mix of life's happenings, like my photos, closets and desks!
SO THIS IS HOW I WANT IT: When Glenn is officially retired and healed from cancer my closets and drawers will be organized, our photos will be organized and our desks will be ready for the challenge of our masters programs.
7 comments:
Keep dreaming.....
I certainly understand what you are saying. My house sits upon a basement that has become a storage place. I had the saying that if you haven't used it in one year than it needs to go out. But I did not count on sentimentality to come forth every time I want to throw out, give away or sell. I too have to get my house in order...but not to get my masters but to give me some peace of mind. Good luck in your endeavor of cleaning and organizing and your desire to get your masters degree. I know you will do it too. I also experienced the increase of "things" as our family decreased. I could not figure that out...and still can't.
I don't know why, but I am having an obnoxious desire to say "pick the one you want and place it!"
When you are done over there---COME OVER HERE!!!!
How fun Kathy!!! I am amazed at how it accumulates. Moving twice in the last few years really helps declutter. You, my friend, are one of the best organized people I know...that is why you keep working at it! Love ya...have a good week!!!
What amazing goals. . . . .Having a place for what you really need and want is a blessing. With most of my stuff in the garage the last 5 months, it has helped me realize how I can get rid of lots more stuff.
Does anyone else think that Heather looks so much like Kathy in that first picture? It's uncanny!
Post a Comment