Saturday, October 3, 2009

"To Grape or not to Grape, that is the question"


So that I would feel some normalcy in my life and because the timing was just right, we bottled 281 bottles of grape juice this week!

Glenn went out to Whitney's and got 11 1/2 boxes of grapes last Monday morning and I started the first juicer at noon. By Tuesday evening 178 bottles were done and our kitchen was a grape colored mess. My neighbor, Tamara, came over and helped so she could learn how to do the process and do it on her own.

We picked up 6 more boxes Thursday night when we came home from Seattle. Kimberly came over and helped me with the grapes and Glenn set up his new TV. We enjoyed Baylee while we all did our thing. I wanted to do some grape juice as a gift for my siblings who are working so hard taking care of our mother. We took it a little slower pace and by Friday evening we had 105 more bottles done!

We haven't been able to do peaches or pears this year, as we have been on a different track. I really wanted to fill our shelves. Grapes were the best and easiest to do. We feel blessed to get these done in this window of time!

8 comments:

hennchix said...

Awesome!! Don't you love looking at the finished product on your counters? I need to buy a juicer, it has been 3 years since I did grapes.

SANDERSON / MCCONKIE FAMILY said...

Good for you!!! I think you are doing the right thing by getting things going quickly! Sometimes I just wanted to scream...how can life go on...and yet it did. Keeping things as normal as possible calms the soul and reminds us how precious simple things are. Love Ya, Sharon

Jeremy said...

Looks yum! I would love to learn how to bottle grapes...not sure where I would buy a huge amount of grapes though.

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

I have NEVER heard of one person doing so many bottles of grape juice. That is strictly incredible. i.n.c.r.e.d.i.b.l.e.

Danielle said...

Truly incredible! I am so glad that you got to do your grape juice. For some reason, it makes me feel a bit of normalcy with all of this not normal stuff that is going on!

"Grape" job! "Juice" guys must be totally exhausted!

Sorry. I need some sleep!

Unknown said...

Thanks for your patience in teaching me how to do the grape juice. Next year I will do more. Please remember that you are in our prayers. Yes, we believe in MIRACLES and know we will see some in your family.

Tiffany Fackrell said...

seriously that is A LOT, but oh man it seriously looks so so yummy!!! I have come to your blog a couple of times just to look at the picture and dream I was having home made grape juice, seriously!!

Also your family has been in my thoughts and prayers a lot. David and I are rooting for you!! You have an amazing outlook on it all.

Kristi said...

Amazing! And so good for you too!