Friday, September 25, 2009

Meeting with the oncologist

When you meet with an oncologist in the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance, you have a team! Our oncologist is Dr Veena Shankaran. She is new, young, and very knowledgeable. Her nationality is India, although she was born in America. She is an assistant professor at the U, we feel very lucky to have her.

The test was for her to laugh at Glenn's joke about not wanting Chemo, because he didn't want to lose his hair. It took her a minute, but she got it! Good, because we were just getting ready to walk out!

She outlined the protocol which is very standard. Chemo for one week, Chemo and Radiation for three weeks and then Chemo for a week. Rest for a couple of weeks and then surgery. That may be followed with more chemo. It will be something that he will have to check up on for the rest of his life.

We have been working with my sister in law Sharon Jensen for nutritional support. We discussed this with the Dr. and she thinks that will be great!

Now we have to decide whether to get treatment in Seattle or Wenatchee. We are leaning toward Seattle.

Thanks again for all of your love and support! We love you!

This is a picture of the foyer of our retro hotel.

4 comments:

SANDERSON / MCCONKIE FAMILY said...

I am telling...Paul and Glen were in the same line when they handed out sense of humor! I am thankful that you are at an excellent facility with great doctors. What a blessing! Next I am sure we will be hearing about wheelchair races!!! Love Ya!!!

Anonymous said...

Kathy,

Prayers are being answered!!! I'm glad that you have such a cute hotel to stay in, too:) Emily and Elliott both live in the U district, so if you need anything at all, give them a call. Emily is PLUGGED IN to the whole world over there and Elliott is a doer. (Emily 206-422-0780 and Elliott 509-989-7777) Also, I will be happy to be a shuttle service when needed---any excuse to go to Seattle works for me!

Hang in there, give Glenn a hug from us, and thanks for the update.

Lots of love,
BRENDA

hennchix said...

Kathy,
I don't know what to say, other than what everyone else has said! Glenn is in our thoughts and prayers, as are you. I would lean toward Seattle as well. And I totally love going there if you need an assistant shuttle service.

erin said...

My thoughts are with you all! You are a trooper.