Monday, September 28, 2009

"Because I have been given much, I too must give"

Yesterday I really enjoyed going to church in our own ward! We had Stake Conference two weeks ago and we were in our daughters ward in Logan last week. What I found amazing is how all of the songs at church had such special meaning to me. The closing song was "Because I Have Been Given Much". That song always touches me, yesterday it was as poignant as ever. The little plate of cookies that I took to my Laurel class is just a symbol of giving. They love for me to bring cookies. I don't do it very often, so it is a welcome gift for them!
I was so thankful to be able to teach my class, after what seemed like forever! My Laurels are the greatest. As we were reading scriptures and discussing truth as it relates to virtue, I felt the spirit so strong. I feel that it is a privilege to be there in their presence. They are such wonderful girls. Sister Grigg, the WY President is such a fun leader/example/friend to all of us.
This past week, I read Sister Dalton's conference talk. She is the General Young Woman's President. When she was a young woman, she chose a white rose as her symbol, which is for purity and virtue. I found some beautiful long stemmed white roses the went along with the lesson, to give the girls. In a small way I felt that because I had been given much I was able to give.
Glenn and I feel the sustaining power of the Lord. We feel strength and power from all the prayers that are being been offered in our behalf.
Another song we sang as a choir yesterday is "Praise to the Lord, the Almighty". All of the lines seemed to be written for me. Some of the phrases are: "Over all things he gloriously reigneth. Borne as on eagle wings, safely his Saints he sustaineth. Hast thou not seen how all thou needest he ordaineth. Praise to the Lord who doeth prosper thy way and defendeth. Surely his goodness and mercy shall ever attend thee. Ponder anew what the Almighty can do, who with his love doth befriend thee." (LDS Hymns pg 72)

Blessings:

  • We have the sustaining influence of the Holy Ghost.
  • We have a deep abiding faith in and knowledge of the Savior and the Atonement.
  • Glenn and I have each other and have been sealed for time and all eternity.
  • We have a loving family who is also sealed to us.
  • We have many many loving friends who care about us and are praying for us.
  • We both have church callings that will allow us to serve as we are going through cancer treatment.
  • Glenn's work has been a great source of income and has provided well for retirement.
  • He has disability which will allow him to go through treatment and still receive a paycheck and keep our insurance currant.
  • We caught the cancer soon enough so that it is treatable.
  • We have the missionaries living with us and the attending blessings.
  • Glenn has good health as he goes into treatments.
  • He has had a great priesthood blessing, which has guided us and given comfort.
  • Our patriarchal blessings are a guide and comfort to us.
  • We seem to have help where ever and when ever we need it.
  • Glenn has a nephew who has offered housing in Seattle
  • Glenn will be treated in a hospital that is ranked #10 in the nation.
  • Many more seen and unseen.
"Because I have been given much", "make me thy true under shepherd", grant that "no murmuring word will escape my tongue" , "Oh, let all that is in me adore Him!"
Hymns "Because I have been given much" pg 219, "Dear to the Heart of the Shepherd" pg 221, "Behold the Great Redeemer Die" pg 191, Praise to the Lord God Almighty pg 72.

5 comments:

Danielle said...

This just proves my point. You guys are amazing! This attitude and frame of mind is going to carry you far!! I sure love you both.

I hope you are enjoying "retirement". pfft, yeah, right! This is not the type of retirement we all had in mind for you two!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

I can't help but feel more blessed after reading your blessings. Counting your blessings helps to shed a light on everything, including others lists who may read yours. Thank you Kathy.

Lilly Leonard said...

Sister Perrins-
I miss you lessons every Sunday. You taught me so much in every lesson. I love you so much! No teacher will compare:)

Unknown said...

Thanks Kathy for reminding us to "Count our Blessings" and to look for the "Rainbows" midst the storms. As we focus on our blessings, we see our abundance and the focus is taken away from our "learning opportunities." Thanks for the beautiful roses. THANKS for being you and a light in the dark. The 10th Ward Laurels are blessed to have you as their teacher.

Marion said...

I see the pictures of your Laurels and they were my Beehives! How does that happen? I, too, am always touched by the hymn, Because I Have Been Given Much. And I want to take Sister Kimball's advice to never suppress a generous thought! I have many and hardly act upon them. Great post...and you two are in all of our prayers.