Monday, May 4, 2009

"Put your money where your mouth is..."

For the past 5 weeks of so, I have taken the Young Women Challenge to read the Book of Mormon for 5 minutes a day. I have LOVED this experience! The first time I took a challenge to read the Book of Mormon was from my Sunday School teacher, Sister Beatrice Sorenson (the same person who inspired me to go on a mission, great lady!) Ever since then I read the Book of Mormon every year in High School and College, plus several times on my mission, and many, many times since I have been married, including President Hinckley's challenge in the fall of 2006.

This most recent challenge has had an amazing effect on me! I have enjoyed this experience immensely. It has been like "Licking an Ice Cream Cone Slowly". Reading for 5 minutes at a time, gives me a chance to actually remember and think about what I have read. I have journaled, talked, pondered and testified about the truths that I have learned.

One of the great principles that has occupied my thoughts is that Nephi spoke in terms of being commanded...

• Lehi was “commanded” to preach repentance to the people of Jerusalem.
• Nephi was “commanded” to get the brass plates.
• Nephi was “commanded” to build a boat.
• They took provisions on the ship that they had been “commanded” to gather.

Not only were they “commanded to do these and many more things that were hard, they were given step by step instruction on HOW to do them and THEN they were “provided a way to accomplish the thing which the Lord commanded them to do” (1 Nephi 3:7). He also did “nourish them and strengthen them!” (1 Nephi 17:3)

Using the language of Nephi, I have opened my ears and hopefully my heart to what the Lord through our Prophet, our Stake President, our Bishop and the Holy Spirit is “commanding” me to do.

In concert with these scriptures from the Book of Mormon is a scripture from Doctrine and Covenants 59:3-4 "Yea, blessed are they whose feet stand upon the land of Zion, who have obeyed my gospel; for they shall receive for their reward the good things of the earth, and it shall bring forth in its strength. And they shall also be crowned with blessings from above, yea and with commandments not a few, and with revelations in their time--they that are faithful and diligent before me."

I believe that commandments are blessings.

Now comes the hard part……the time for me to “put my money where my mouth is”. Or another phrase we use in our family is…”She talks up a storm with her wooden teeth, can’t shut them off, but when it comes to putting her name on the old parchmentaroony…try and find her.”

In other words I KNOW…but will I DO?

I heard someone say recently that we should look at our lives, if they are going along smoothly, get prepared for a trial. Yesterday as we were singing a song in Sacrament meeting on page 280, there was a line “trials make our heart grow stronger”. For some reason that phase caught my attention.

Trial doesn’t need to mean “suffering” does it? Can’t it mean “trial offer”, “try it, you’ll like it”, “we will prove them here with…”

So, if you are still with me here’s the deal. Last night the Bishop came to our house to talk to Glenn and I. (I know the Bishop can’t call a member of the stake presidency to a calling, so of course, I was a little nervous, because I really enjoy my calling as the Laurel advisor.) He asked us to HOUSE THE MISSIONARIES!

We took in a young 17 year old convert when we were in our early 30’s, not a good experience! Two of our nieces lived with us for a school year and even though they were great girls and we love them dearly, it was very hard for me to give up my space. We had several other nephews live with us for different summers. I am sure I failed miserably in my role.

So when my husband was the Bishop and they needed names to be submitted for people to house the missionaries, I warned him in very graphic terms that we were NOT candidates for that! (I will spare the details.) Been there done that.

The past week the Lord has been working on me and softening my heart, unbeknowns to my husband. Thoughts have entered my head like…”If the prophet asked you to house the missionaries what would you say?” “If you housed the missionaries the Lord would bless your life…”

Although I was completely surprised when the Bishop asked us to house the missionaries, I can say that at least the Lord had been working on me to soften my heart and prepare me for the “calling”, or in Nephi’s language, the “commandment”.

I am sure my response was a huge surprise to my husband! But honestly, how can we ask the Lord for the things that we are asking him for if we aren’t willing to give Him the thing he is asking us for?

More phrases from the hymn book come to mind. “Be Still My Soul”, How Gentle God’s Commands”, Sacrifice Brings Forth the Blessings of Heaven” and here is the best
“MASTER THE TEMPEST IS RAGING...PEACE, PEACE, BE STILL."

9 comments:

Birgitta said...

thank you.

Kimberly said...

Ba ha ha ha. Wow. You've talked about that before. So it is happening huh? That which we fear often comes upon us! You'll be great mom. When do they move in? What room are they going to get? Does this mean Curtis and I can't stay over any more? Hmmm. I think it'll be more of an inconvenience to me! ;) Love you!

SANDERSON / MCCONKIE FAMILY said...

I am proud of you Kathy! Those young missionaries need a "MOM" and Clark will really enjoy being around them. Once again you amaze me...and yes you will be blessed for the sacrifice. Will you adopt me?!? jk I do so treasure your friendship and advice!!!

Heather said...

Wow.. I think I just saw a pig fly by my window! :)

You never cease to amaze me. You have always been wonderful missionaries, and I know you LOVE the missionaries.. I just know you don't necessarily want them living with you :) But I think Sharon is right.. Clark will really enjoy them and they will be so comfortable there. Hey, maybe you could fix them up a nice room in the garage!! Ha!! ok, people are going to think we're SO bad.

You are a great example of obedience and sacrifice.. you really are.

Kathy’s Korner said...

Yes, Heather, don't think we didn't mention that to the Bishop. I have to say, I don't think he thought is was very funny. But then he might have just been tired and relieved that he had finally asked us. He has had our name for a month, poor guy! It is a good thing that he waited, because the Lord just barley got my heart soft just in time.

Marion said...

The Lord seems to know how to prepare us, doesn't He? The struggle is doing what we're asked to do with a willing heart and not grumble about it. So, if you get that one down, let me know! I need a few lessons! I'm sure you're going to see so many blessings by having them in your home. And they'll be blessed being there! You're a great example to us all!

Danielle said...

Clark is going to LLLOOOOOOOVVE that! And, I have to admit. I have had a flicker of s selfish thought as well about how that will affect our visits!
The Lord will not ask us to do something that He won't open a way for, right? ;)

Kristi said...

Wow! I've ended up doing things I thought I'd never do because the Lord prepared me beforehand. You are a good woman. A good, good woman. You'll have to fill us all in on details as they come.

Lea Ann said...

It is nice that 15 years later you can look at my living with you as somewhat pleasant. And now that I have my own space and home I can totally understand the sacrifice you made and are going to make again. Good for you!