Thursday, February 19, 2009

"SAYONARA"


JAPAN AIRLINES CLOSES FLIGHT CENTER AFTER 40 YEARS!!!!!
SAD DAY FOR THE PERRINS CLAN!



As long as we have been in Moses Lake, we have enjoyed watching and hearing the JAL Airplanes flying over us. When we lived out on the base they were off to the side and could hardly be heard.

When we moved to this house on Turnagin Place they flew directly over head and we have loved it. Sometimes they would appear to be flying right into our big window in the kitchen. One time my sister wondered if I felt like my privacy was being invaded, or if we worried that they would fly right into our house. No! We have just enjoyed them. In the summer I love to be in the pool floating on my back and watch the planes as they fly over so low. I love to be driving through town and see a big one turning around to make a landing approach and see them appear to be "hanging motionless in the sky".

Our children have made some good friends with the children of the pilots. The Japanese trainees have been such a wonderful asset to our community. They will truly be missed.

A very fun thing that we have enjoyed, is our grand children's reactions to these big noisy planes. When we were in the house and heard the airplanes coming, we would teach the grand kids to run, as fast as they could, to the back door so they could see them coming over the top of the house. Sometimes we wouldn't hear the planes coming, but they would, and we would see the kids running at break neck speed to the back door. Other times I would hear the plane before the kids would and I would warn them...if you want to see the plane you had better start running....many times they would doubt me, but they would soon find out that I was right. I never tired of this game with our sweet, energetic, enthusiastic grandchildren. I will miss these planes so very much!!

If the grandchildren were outside when the planes came overhead, they always made a big deal out of it. We have many pictures of the airplanes flying overhead. Who knew they were going to be a thing of the past.

How many times have we been on the phone and had to stop talking because "a plane was flying over"? We never minded, we just waited and enjoyed. A Plane just flew over as I have been writing this post and I can't tell you how nostalgic is makes me already!!!!! Farewell JAL

6 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

This does indeed make me sad. When we first moved here I watched each one. I was just sure one was going to wreck and they were going to need my eye-witness account. Nope. Never happened. They landed safe each time. I'm going to miss them, too. This was a good thing to document.

SANDERSON / MCCONKIE FAMILY said...

I should have known you would love the JAL airplanes. I remember parking on the bluff lot before our home was built and making sure the planes weren't too loud. I too enjoyed seeing their massive size, the wheels come down and landings. My father flew his own plane all of my childhood...I have a reverence for those huge flying machines!

Heather said...

This is sad news mom! It's funny how we feel so honored that their flight pattern is DIRECTLY over our house... we have had a lot of fun with them.. and they have stopped many a conversation in their tracks.

This is a big loss for the community I think.. that is too bad!

Kimberly said...

Hearing a plane overhead is very soothing for me. I heard them a lot in Las Vegas too! I can't believe they're leaving. They really will be missed.

Douglas and Connie Jones Earl said...

Kathy I love reading your blog, even though I don´t comment.
LOVE CONNIE

Anonymous said...

The one thing I really miss about Seattle is the Planes that flew past our place. When the 747 was new and flying it's tests, it over shot the runway and made a turn in the valley straight at and level with our house. I could only watch and hope it completed its turn. Another time four Blue angels made the same turn towards our house. No camera handy but those two mental pictures stand out as highlights of the thousands of planes that flew past our house as a result of being in between two airports. I missed the planes so much when I moved to Blackfoot. I actually hear more here in Lost River that I did there. The trouble is they ar too high up to see. Sylvia