Monday, February 9, 2009

25 Random things

25 RANDOM THING ABOUT GLENN:


1. When it comes to music, it's Mancini or nada (isn't that a light chicken gravy?)

2. I learned to play a bass fiddle and I sang in a Hootenanny group at Ricks college with a kid Kathy grew up with. I played drums in a rock n' roll band in High school and at Ricks. I also played the trumpet in a swing band until my wife made me give it up.

3. As a kid, I never had a pet.

4. I had a classic 66 Chevy Caprice. It was so hot, it actually caught on fire.

5. I try to say as much as possible in as many words as possible. You ask a simple question and you get a pageant.

6. I never met a flavor of Ice Cream I didn't like.

7. I had blood poisoning in boot camp from my boot. I was in the hospital 4 weeks.

8. I can carry on a conversation using only movie quotes, a talent I passed on to my children.

9. I bucked bales as a teenager for buck an hour.

10. I spent my 5th grade year living with my sister Mary Lou and her husband Don, in Harrington, Wa.

11. If I could do a do over, I would be a play-by-play sports announcer.

12. The best decision I ever made was to marry Kathy Jensen. She is my best friend.

13. I like people, I like to be with people, but at the end of the day I like some space.

14. BYU sports isn't everything, but it's way ahead of what ever is in second place.

15. The only good "UTE" is a _____________ you fill in the blank.

16. In high school I played varsity basketball with my 3 year older brother Sam. I always looked up to Sam, now he looks up to me. (Because I am taller)

17. In grade school I got a good citizenship medal. In the sixth grade, I won a spelling bee, complete with trophy.

20. When I was 9 years old, my friends and I were looking for pop bottles and beer bottles at the Deer Park dump. I was bare footed and I sliped into some hot burning coals and burned my left foot. My buddys took me and the bottles on a 1 mile trek back to my home in our red flyer wagon. Move over Dennis the Menace.

19. I love being a dad and a grandpa. I have the smartest, best looking grand kids on the planet. My sons-in-law and daughters-in-laws are the best. Way to go kids, you married well.

20. My pet peeve is someone driving slow in front of me. Always drive 3 miles over the speed limit, never more, never less. I am the tailgater Danielle hates!

21. I am electronically challenged! I am hair challenged, but the Resurrection is comin!!

22. I am a wit, but it is impolite to laugh at your own jokes. So if you catch me laughing, it will be a rare treat!

23. I have a reoccurring nightmare of Seth and Erik falling off the cliff in the North Cascades on our trip to Whidby Island. Sometimes it wakes me up in a panic attack!

24. I love home cooking. I don't cook, except I make the best French toast.

25. I retire in 322 days, 20 hours and 32 minutes, but who's counting.
__________________________________________________________________________________


25 RANDOM THINGS ABOUT KATHY:

1. I love COLD milk. If necessary, I put ice cubes in it. I hate warm milk!

2. On my first job off the farm, I put maple syrup instead of coke syrup in the coke fountain. They fired me, I think they were just jealous.

3. I have too many embarrassing moments to post.

4. The best decision I made was to marry Glenn Perrins. He is my very best friend and cheer leader.

5. We have a cat named Sadie who has to be close to us. She even folds her arms when we pray. When I am working outside she is by me. Then I don't notice she is gone, but when I move to the next random place, she will be there waiting for me. She thinks mice are fascinating. She wouldn't catch one if it bit her on her nose. She does nothing to earn her keep, but entertain us.

6. When I was in the third grade, I fell down and scraped my knee and got blood poisoning. I was sick for a long time.

7. My best friend when I was growing up was Laurel Nobel. We were friends from the first grade through high school. We are still friends.

8. I love to laugh, I laugh a lot. And I laugh at my own jokes and Glenn's, too.

9. It took about 20 years of marriage to realize that almost everything Glenn said was funny.

10. I like to make lists, but I am a free spirit and I don't always follow them. Sometimes on Monday, my list is big enough for the whole week.

11. Glenn brought Henry Mancini record albums to our marriage. When CD's became the in thing, I tossed his classic album collection in the trash. One day when I was out of town, he went looking for them and discovered they were missing. So, he went on EBay and bought them all back, and then some. A penny saved is a penny earned.

12. When I was in high school I tossed my dad's hunting boots because I had cleaned around them in the closet for a few years. I thought he didn't use them. Right after I burned them, he started looking for them. I didn't have the courage to confess. I have felt bad about that ever since, but it didn't cure me from throwing things away that haven't been used for awhile. Refer to #11.

13. If I had a do over, I would be a nicer mother! I love being a mother. I loved raising my kids and I am so glad they turned out great, in spite of my shortcomings.
When my oldest child was 15 I would say stop the clock! This is exactly what I wanted to do. I am glad they have given me grand kids. I am a nicer mother now and they have a nice grandmother! Thank heavens for do overs.

12. I love cookies.

13. I love flowers, computers, friends, photo's, trips, family, quilts, furniture, decorating, being thin, good hair days, the scriptures.

14. I am a better person if I get a nap. Glenn knows this and when I say "I am checking out", he says "yes! my wife is taking a nap!" He uses his free time to do exactly what HE wants.

15. I have to read!

16. I have been on a diet since I turned 40. (Or at least every other day)

17. My mother and I were suspects in a bomb threat on our way home from my mission.

18. The only spectator sports I enjoy are the ones my children or grand children play in. I have come to enjoy BYU sports by default.

19. I love RED, but not the UTE'S.

20. I have naturally curly hair. I like to wear my hair longer, Glenn likes it shorter.

21. In the 50's I wore a poodle skirt. In the 60's I wore a wiglet. In the 70's I wore false eyelashes. In the 80's I permed my hair. In the 90's I pierced my ears. In the 2000's I highlight my hair. I may not look trendy, but I have a clue what they are.

22. I could never bungee jump or sky dive.

23. I only like fresh, fresh, fresh fish with no bones

24. I am in the process, for the umpteenth time, of organizing my photos.

25. I have a comfort bike.

12 comments:

Heather said...

Wow.. that was great. I laughed and laughed at dad's #5.. Kirk did too. And I was laughing along until I came to your recurring nightmare.. and that made me very somber. I have nightmares of that too. I can't believe they were doing that. It scares me to death.

I didn't know a lot of those things about you guys.. if I could have a do-over.. I would try to think of things to put on my list that everyone doesn't actually know!

I didn't know about the maple Syrup mom, and the bomb threat. That's so funny.

I think you were a nice mom. You had seven rotten kids that were always getting into trouble and fightingt.. we could've been a little nicer too you know. Don't be too hard on yourself. We turned out alright If I do say so myself.

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Oh my goodness these are good! I found them so entertaining and enlightening. How very, very fun to read these. What great lists.

The pageant and the maple syrup both made me laugh...along with many, many others.

SANDERSON / MCCONKIE FAMILY said...

I love you Kathy!!! You are so much fun...your spirit is like 15 years old...and I love doing things with you. You make me smile just when I think I have forgotten how! Thanks for being my friend!

Lea Ann said...

I loved all the new things I learned and suprised at all the things I already knew.
I have great memories of you two. Glenn and his Mancini and always getting the pageant. I consider it a joy to get you laughing so much you pee your pants.
And now that I am a mom and see what you probably had to put up with, I am sorry I was ever scared of you. I think maybe you were always a nice mom and aunt. Like Heather said, look at your kids now. You and Mom should be sainted having to put up with all of our stuff.

Lori said...

So fun to read...I feel like I know you both better!

Danielle said...

The only thing I don't like about these lists is that they end! I love them and want them to go on and on. I love that it took you so long to realize that Dad is so funny. I have suspected it all along! And the pageant...don't get me started! And Mom, you are hilarious! What a funny thing that you both had blood poisoing. Well, not funny, but, you know what I mean! You are both so WONDERFUL!! Thank you for doinf this list!!

Sarah Rowley said...

It seems to me that you and Glenn are an absolute perfect match! I love you both!

Kimberly said...

How is it that I learned so many things about both of you? That is too funny. You are amazing parents!

Birgitta said...

What can I say...I love Glenn's #1 on the 3 amigos quote. Makes me laugh! LOL

I could see Glenn as being a sports announcer. He would be perfect!

I think Glenn is VERY witty and very funny. Actually, your entire family is very funny.

I love that you love to make lists...I've see your lists! Jeremy is a list maker too!

I loved reading your trends through the years. You are cool!

I'm only 7 years into it, but I wish I was a nicer mother too. I love you Kathy!

I loved reading these random things. I learned so much...and laughed a lot!

Jeremy said...

I could not help but laugh at dad when he would lecture me in as many words as possible. It was always funny.

And I love cookies too! Favorite!

Marion said...

I love Mancini, too, believe it or not! When I was growing up my parents would stack records onto the stereo at night and they'd play way after we went to sleep. Henry Mancini was always in that stack! It always takes me back to those sweet days! It was great learning more about you two! I LOVE red, too, Kathy! You two are so cute!

Anonymous said...

Both you and Glenn referred to the Utes-----. Now for a energetic five-year old who sat down to watch his first football game, they were the best. He was so excited that he went outside and yelled "Go Utes!" some one in the neighborhood heard him and yelled back "What?" To which he repeated "Go Utes!" He was still amazed at the loud yell he had when he came to visit me in Idaho a little later and asked me if I had heard him in Idaho yelling "Go Utes!" all the way from Utah.