Happy Birthday Mom. Thanks for being one of the greatest mother's in the world. Thanks for teaching me the Gospel by precept and by example. Thank you for never wavering in your love and devotion to me, our family and our Savior. I love you!
The above is a picture of mom when she was a baby, her mom is holding her and it is her big sister Agnes's 7th birthday party. Below is their family when mom was about in the 4th grade. My mother's father died when she was 3 years old, leaving Grandma Kirby with 8 children to raise. That is a story for another day. Grandpa is inserted into the picture on the top left. Mom is on the far right.
There was a lady in the drugstore that had a hairstyle called "windblown" when Catherine was in high school. Catherine always thought she looked so pretty. She had her hair cut this way and loved it. She thought she looked very beautiful. After this hairstyle she got her first perms and had curly hair for the first time.
Below is a picture of her with this style wearing a white organdy dress. She saw the dress in a store window for $5.00 and went to her Mother who was working in the bakery, told her about it and asked if she could get it. Her Mother let her. With her haircut and pretty dress she felt like a princess for the first time in her life. Mother was raised in Blackfoot, Idaho.
Mom's high school graduation. Why do the people in the olden days look older at 18 than our 18 year olds? I have always wondered that. But I think she looks pretty and very composed.
There were 4 girls and 4 boys in their family, I don't have a picture of her with the brothers, I am sure one exists, but here are her sister: Agnes (the oldest and shortest, Violet who is still alive at 97 and still mom's best friend. My mom and Florence who is also alive. Florence was named after Florence Nightingale, became a registered nurse and served in World War 2. Vi and Mom also took nurses training. 
This is Mom and Dad on their wedding day. November 26, 1937. They were married in the SLC Temple.
This is their 50th wedding anniversary. With their 7 children: Laura, Kathy, Joe, Kirby, Gwen, Cynthia and Sylvia.
I am posting this picture of mom with her granddaughter Calese for two reasons: 1. I think they look so much alike and 2. It represents the love that she has for all of her grand children.
Meatball minestrone soup in the crockpot
7 months ago
6 comments:
Holy cow...when you look at Calese and the picture of your mom on her wedding day...they are spittin' images!
This was a great post Kathy!
Oh man.. everyone stole my thunder, I was going to say the same thing! In her 18 year old picture I thought "who looks like her.. I know somebody does" and then in her wedding photo.. boom! It's CALESE!! Totally spittin' images.. wow.
That is a nice post. Happy Birthday Grandma! Love you lots and hope you had a very nice day. I'm thinking of you often and praying for you.
I'm so glad you have those photos!
I think Catherine, Sylvia's daughter, looks sooooo much like Grandma! Calese, too. What a fabulous Grandam!!
I called her earlier this afternoon, but she was taking a nap. Sylvia made two cakes so htat anyone who came to visit today could have a piece of cake in honor of Gma. What a cute idea for her birthday, don't you think?
sheeesh, please excuse the typos!
How very, very sweet Kathy. Happy 93rd Birthday to your mom.
I don't know the other cousins too well, but I'll tell you who I do see... Kimberly! I love the pictures. It really helps to connect to the past.
Post a Comment