
"It begins with a Kiss" doesn't quite say it all. Glenn and I met in 1963 when we were attending "Ricks" College. He was a freshman and I was a Sophomore. I worked on the breakfast shift at the old cafeteria on College Avenue (which has long since been torn down). He would come in with a large group of energetic handsome kids. I was the cashier and had started to memorize their meal ticket numbers. I hadn't yet learned his, and one morning he asked me what his number was and I didn't know it (kind of an embarrassing moment for both of us). He was filling a glass of water where you push the lever with the glass and the water flows into the glass, he was telling me that I had better have it learned by tomorrow, all the time the glass was over flowing! I thought that was cute and as I have known him better, that is so Glenn.
Since he wasn't a returned missionary at the time, I wasn't taking him very seriously. We did have a date or two and on one of them he told me he was a Henry Mancini fan (which hasn't changed). I had never heard of Mancini, but I was dumber than I looked and I told him I liked Henry Mancini too. Our apartment had a phonograph (record player, not even a stereo) so he lent me his Mancini album collection for the entire year!!!! We liked "Pink Panther" and "Baby Elephant Walk" from "Hatari". At the end of the year I was engaged to someone else, again I was dumber than I looked, and he came and asked me for his records back. He is lucky they hadn't been pitched. (I waited 35 years to do that, a story for another day)
The following year I went to BYU and Glenn stayed at Ricks. The first person I danced with at the first dance I went to was Glenn's brother Sam. I asked him if he knew Glenn and he said that he was Glenn's brother! Sam was in my ward. One of the girls I worked with had a brother who was Glenn's room mate! Glenn was in student government and sang in a hootenanny group which performed at most of the assemblies. One of the members of that group was a friend of mine from Arco.
The next year, 1965, he went to the West Spanish American Mission in California and Arizona and I went on a mission to Scotland. During my mission, every area I served in had an elder who had gone to Ricks when Glenn was there and for some reason I would ask them if they knew Glenn and they all did. I don't even know why I asked, I thought it was idle conversation, still I was dumber than I looked. There seemed to be a pattern there that I wasn't catching on to.
I returned from my mission in May 1967, headed straight to BYU and started dating up a storm. In those days you could date more than one person at a time. Glenn returned from his mission that September and started at BYU. We met accidental in the Smith Family Living Center on the East stairs. He was coming down and I was going up, he was in the wrong building. I looked for him every day after that, but he wasn't there, of course. We met accidental again in a tunnel going to Helaman Halls, this time I was off route.
He called me shortly after that, even though I was seriously dating another person, I went out with him, this time I was smarter than I looked! He took me to a fireside one Sunday evening and as we were walking home, he kissed me!! WOW, THAT was a KISS! He told me that he had promised himself that if we ever went out again he was going to kiss me! So he must have thought of me a time or two in those years in between.
We started dating seriously and exclusively in February 1968. The above picture was taken by me dad in February, if you have been following me blogs you will see my beloved King Mountain in the back ground.
We were married on May 31, 1968.
Meatball minestrone soup in the crockpot
7 months ago
10 comments:
I love it! Sometimes I wonder if I know all of your stories, so thank you. I know, I can see you rolling your eyes and mumbling under your breath...you told them, I just never heard them! I am old now and have found my grown up ear. hehehe I love how your smiles have never changed all of these years!!
Great post! What a love story. Isn't it fun to go back and reminisce? (Did I spell that right?)
What a beautiful story and photos! It sounds like the Lord was in charge of your life. I am not surprised. Isn't it wonderful to still be in love after all these years. Some love is meant to last an eternity...yours is...and so is mine. Dear Friend!
I loved reading your story. It is amazing that after 5 or so years you finally ended up together. You really were meant for one another. If you didn't marry Glenn, then you wouldn't have Jeremy and I wouldn't have married him and had my four beautiful babies.
So, whatever happened to the guy you were engaged to at Ricks? Did he go to BYU with you?
OH, and you are a very handsome couple! STILL ARE!! :)
Super fun pictures! I can't believe how much your boys look like Glen. Holy Cow!
Oh Kathy, this is such a good read. I enjoyed it immensely. You write like you talk so it's fun to hear you through the screen.
...I was dumber than I looked! What a funny line.
I have never heard that story. And it is a good story. But for a second there I thought I was looking at Erik.
oh my goodness, you guys are too cute!
Hi Kathy and Glenn, I don't know why it has taken me so long to remember to look at the blog. I have been looking at facebook and wondering how you are both doing and low and behold, I remembered the blog. I love the love story. Ray and I have started to push 30 years ourselves. Where does the time go? John and I were married in 1969 so that would have been scarey as I am way too young to have been married 40 years. I remember my parents 40th and they were old! Anyway, it is good to hear things are underway to get Glenn better. Keep up the good work.Old friends are some of the best friends. Love Tan
Post a Comment