Saturday, October 5, 2013

MY BYU COUGAR FAN!

My cougar fan has passed his love of BYU to his family. When I married Glenn, I didn't know that grown men followed sports.  What cocoon did I grown up in?  My father was a fisherman and a hunter, I thought that is what "grown men" did.  I should have had my first clue when some of our dates before we married were to BYU basketball games, but I was "clueless".


It is no secret that Glenn is a "BYU COUGAR FAN"!  The stories could go on and on.  Last week, Glenn was surprised by Glade Daniels-Brown.  Glade's bother Roman is married to a former BYU basketball player that Glenn follow 10 years ago, Mark Bigelow.  Mark had heard "Glenn from Moses Lake" calling several times on a KSL sports call-in show hosted by Gregg Ruebel.  When Mark heard that Glenn was sick, he wanted to do something for him.  He sent Glenn his BYU practice jersey, he signed it "To number one Cougar Fan".  Glenn was really thrilled.


You almost have to be surprised that we have 7 children when you think of all the games that BYU plays.  To be fair, Glenn started out only following football and basketball, which was enough for me at the time.  Back when we were first married the only way to follow these sports was to listen to Paul James on KSL radio.  When we lived in Las Angeles, CA and Meridian, ID that presented a problem. Glenn was known to drive to the top of a hill to get reception or call a brother in law to listen to the radio on the long distance line.

Sometimes I planned a party and he didn't tell me that it was game night, I would find him tucked into the bedroom with his ear to the radio!  Oh my, it would be impossible to tell all the many ways that Glenn has found to follow EVERY GAME through these years.  Driving through frightening snow storms to see the games live, watching them in the basement of EARL and EARL, getting good flights to Utah to catch special games.

Now games are very easy access on TV, Thank heavens.  Funny thing, we actually have season tickets to all the home football games in Provo, we have for the past few years.

Through the years, especially here in Moses Lake, he has met so many people who love BYU sports as much as he does.  One friend that he could count on to be as enthusiastic a fan as he is is Doug Earl. They are kindred spirits in their enthusiasm.

Our boys have given their dad several 
BYU gifts through the years. 
Below is a signed picture of Ty Detmer.
 Game day flag that is permanently on our 
wall in the family room.
 BYU watch!
 Cozy, cuddly Y blanket.

Although it took me by surprise that Glenn was such an avid BYU sports fan, I wouldn't change it for the world!  That is a huge part of who he is.  Go  Cougs!

2 comments:

Davis Flash said...

Makes this Aggie want to cheer for BYU too, for Glenn's sake. Actually, I am a fan, except when BYU plays USU!

Glenn looks great.

Davis Flash said...

Makes this Aggie want to cheer for BYU too, for Glenn's sake. Actually, I am a fan, except when BYU plays USU!

Glenn looks great.