Friday, February 3, 2012

The Price of Three:

Glenn's CEA marker is at three.  I have been thinking this morning the price that has cost him.  First of all he was in a great deal of pain and very sick from Thanksgiving through Christmas.  He had his first chemo treatment the week before Christmas which caused nausea and neuropothy for a week and a half.

Neuropothy is as condition where the nerves of the hands, feet and mouth are very sensitive.  That sensitivity can cause sores in the mouth and tender dry hands and feet.  In Glenn's case, it causes an extreme sensitivity to cold.  He can not touch, eat or drink anything cold.  When he goes out into the cold he has to wear a hat, gloves, a scarf and be all bundled up...long johns, etc.  I have to get things from the fridge for him and warm them up.  He goes around the house wearing gloves, warm slippers and sometimes wrapped in a blanket.  It is painful.

Through all of this, he remains pleasant and actively involved in his interests (family, calling, sports, politics, etc) and concerned for my welfare.  Needless to say he has my devotion and admiration as I watch him faithfully go through this process.  In comparison, I am a whimp!

The price...pain and nausea!   I stand in awe!

3 comments:

Sylvia said...

Me too.

Anonymous said...

Kathy. . . . .you have such a gift with your words. We are SO GRATEFUL that President's numbers are down to 3. Lots of prayers and lots of great nursing from you. WE LOVE YOU! Tamara

The Great Granperrins said...

You both are so amazing to me. I'm so happy that I'm not as favorite a child of Heavenly Father as Glenn is. I too could not have stood what he has. dianne