Every time I smell Purple Petunias I am taken back to my childhood. I grew up on a small farm in the Lost River Valley, we were surrounded by farms. The only exceptions were: the cemetery which was on the lane directly through the field from our house and our LDS chapel which was a lovely one mile walk on the lane that was perpendicular to our house. The church custodian, Courtleigh To0mbs not only took great care of the building, but he was a horticulturist (I didn't know what that was at the time). Every summer he planted among other things purple petunias. They have such a beautiful strong sweet scent. In the summer evenings, I could smell the petunias all the way from the church to our house! I love that smell and I always think of Courtleigh and his petunias when I smell purple petunias. I bought some purple petunias yesterday, and "zipp" there I went...right back to my childhood memory of those peaceful summer evenings with the scent of purple petunias wafting through the air! Delicious!
Meatball minestrone soup in the crockpot
7 months ago
2 comments:
Don't you just love that "zip" feeling that occurs when you see, smell, touch,taste,hear something? Takes you back in time, usually gives a person a feeling of joy or contentment. Now I am going to have to get some purple petunias..I would love to know that smell. Perhaps it could be a lasting one for my grandchildren when they think about me in the decades to come. Thanks Kathy! Now where do I send my daughter in law to get them for me? Locally? I am excited. Thank you also for commented on my blog. You are a sweetheart. Love.
I did not know that purple smelled differently. I shall have to plant some next year.
Post a Comment