Thursday, April 21, 2011

Here we go again and it's not about me...really!

  • Glenn has a CT scan every three months.  In the middle of February he had a scan the showed a little spot.  In looking back at Novemeber's CT scan, if they looked really hard for it, it was barely visible, but was not detected until February.  
  • Meanwhile March 4th - 15th we took a trip to Utah and Glenn went to Las Vegas with 3 of our sons, 1 son in law and 1 friend.  They had the trip of a lifetime, they were there when Jimmer scored his 52 point game!  We were able to stay with all of our kids and their families, enjoying the grandchildren emensely.
  • When we came home, he had a PT scan on March 19th, which showed more detail, went in for a reading on the 21st, then a biopsy in the middle of the next week. 
  • Meanwhile, I would get nausea everytime I ate for the last two weeks of March. I thought I had a flu bug.  On Saturday April 2nd I threw up all day, at least 8 times and then I couldn't throw up, which is worse.  I was in so much pain and nausea that I finally went to the hospital where I found out first of all the my heart is in great shape and second that I had a very large gall stone.  Then they sent me home, gasp! 
  • On Monday the 4th, I felt great, cleaned house, paid a few bills, found out I couldn't even see a surgeon for consultation until the 20th,
  • and we were told that Glenn's biopsy was positive for cancer. The Dr. thought since the cell structure differed from the former cancer that it was colon cancer.  Better news than if it was his former cancer...didn't sound like good news to us because that meant he would surely have to have one foot of his colon removed, ugh!
  • Tuesday morning I woke up at 3:30, 4:30 and 6:00 vomiting and then I couldn't vomit, and there was that pain and nausea again, which I could not control with the nausea and pain meds.  I spent a  few hours in the Dr's office with intervenous meds, trying to settle it down, because the surgeons couldn't schedule me until April 20th. 
  • We finally decided it was an emergency, and a surgeon consented to operate on me on April 6th.  So we went to the hospital on Tuesday night, I woke up the next morning and had surgery.  It went well and I went home that evening. 
  • The next morning Glenn had to go to Wenatchee for a colonoscopy, I knew I wouldn't be able to get up and go that early, so Kimberly drove him over there and Shelly Nelson drove me over for his consultation.
  • We learned that his colon was clean, then we had to wait until the next week to find out from more lab tests exactly what kind of cancer he had so that they would know how to treat it!
  • April 13th we went back to Wenatchee for a consultation with the radiation oncologist and our main oncologist.  It was then that we were told that the cancer was metastatic, or the same cancer that he was diagnosed with in 2009.  We knew what chemo Glenn was going to take, but still didn't know if he could have radiation.
  • Monday April 18th, Glenn started taking chemo, it is in 3 pill form twice a day...2 weeks on, 1 week off for two cycles with blood tests in between cycles.
  • Tuesday he went golfing and had a great game, hit  three of the longest drives he has ever hit.
  • Wednesday we went to the temple and on the way home we called his oncologist and found out that he can not have radiation.  Once a body has had radiation, they can never have it pass through that part of their body again.,This cancer is too close to the last spot.  This cancer is about the size of a thumbnail, it is a fibery, cloudy, filmy spot in the soft tissue between the colon and the liver.  He does not have cancer in any of his organs.
  • No one wants to hear this kind of news.  We know that we must trust in the Lord to hear and answer our prayers for our best good...we want him to be healed and to live a full and healthy life for the next 25 years...Glenn and our oncologist will do all they can to make this happen...however we are putting it in the Lord's hands and praying "thy will be done".

6 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Oh my goodness, Kathy. I had no idea you'd had such a rough month. I'm sorry you've all had such a hard year and a half. I'm thinking of you all.

Deanna/Mimi said...

My friend Kathy...I sit here with my mouth hanging open. I wish I could "rewind" to a better day and time for you. You have had a lot on your "plate". I admire your dignity and your grace. My prayers now will have you and Glenn in them. I love you both dearly. God watch over you and may you feel His love surrounding you.

Douglas and Connie Jones Earl said...

Glenn we are thinking of you both daily. Doug and Connie

Heather said...

:( I worry so much. It comes and goes. But I am thankful for your faith and great attitudes. They give me courage. I pray for you every day and want you to be around for another 25 years too, Dad!!

Love you.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Kathy and Glenn, what a roller-coaster ride you've been on! I am so sorry you've had such a rough month--and year!! Hope you're feeling better, Kathy. That sounded like you were SO miserable! Our prayers are with you both. We do hope and pray that the chemo will take care of that cancer! Thankfully it's not in the organs! We love you, The Hunsakers

Tamara said...

You have both been in our prayers so much. I'm in Arizona welcoming another precious grandchild, so ahve not had time to be on the internet much at all. I was so impressed when I visited with you, dear Kathy and could feel your strength, your great TRUST, and know that both of you are doing ALL you can. We have started our fast and you are certainly included this month. Lots of hugs and prayers! We love you! Tamara