Some years ago our Moses Lake Stake had a display of nativity sets in our building. We, along with our friends in our community, were invited to bring our various and diverse sets. We had these events several years in a row and they were very sacred and spiritual.
The people who were in charge were very careful to mark everything with the owners names. We even had people stay in the building overnight to protect the nativity sets.
Some of us were asked to bring lace tablecloths for the displays. I had a tablecloth that was very special to me. It belonged to my mother and she gave it to me. She had used it at special meals while I was growing up. My mother's mother bought it for her when I was two years old. I was with them at the time they bought it. It was the day that my grandmother had an eye appointment when she was told that she would be blind. The tablecloth was very significant to me.
When I picked up the tablecloth from my drawer to take it to the church, I had a warning that I shouldn't take it. I argued with the voice and thought that I didn't want to be selfish. Later at the church, before it had been used for the display, I saw it on a cart. I thought, "you should just get that tablecloth and take it home". Again, I argued and thought that I didn't want to be selfish. I didn't bring it home. Urgh!
When it came time to pick up our things, my tablecloth wasn't there. There was no way to find it. It was a lesson in listening to the promptings and following them. But that doesn't bring my tablecloth back.
I still mourn the loss of it. I feel bad, because I know that is was my fault that I lost it. The funny thing is that every time I see a lace tablecloth at the church, I look to see if it could be mine. I try to tell myself that it is just a thing, which it is, but I do wish that I hadn't lost it in such a careless way.
The people who were in charge were very careful to mark everything with the owners names. We even had people stay in the building overnight to protect the nativity sets.
Some of us were asked to bring lace tablecloths for the displays. I had a tablecloth that was very special to me. It belonged to my mother and she gave it to me. She had used it at special meals while I was growing up. My mother's mother bought it for her when I was two years old. I was with them at the time they bought it. It was the day that my grandmother had an eye appointment when she was told that she would be blind. The tablecloth was very significant to me.
When I picked up the tablecloth from my drawer to take it to the church, I had a warning that I shouldn't take it. I argued with the voice and thought that I didn't want to be selfish. Later at the church, before it had been used for the display, I saw it on a cart. I thought, "you should just get that tablecloth and take it home". Again, I argued and thought that I didn't want to be selfish. I didn't bring it home. Urgh!
When it came time to pick up our things, my tablecloth wasn't there. There was no way to find it. It was a lesson in listening to the promptings and following them. But that doesn't bring my tablecloth back.
I still mourn the loss of it. I feel bad, because I know that is was my fault that I lost it. The funny thing is that every time I see a lace tablecloth at the church, I look to see if it could be mine. I try to tell myself that it is just a thing, which it is, but I do wish that I hadn't lost it in such a careless way.
6 comments:
Several times I have taken heavy duty cookie sheets to the church and been left with burnt thin sheets left in return. I take a sigh and think...maybe they need it more than I. I am so sorry about your tablecloth. That's a hard loss. When we cleaned the temple at midnight, I thought of the lost sleep then I remember all that gave their china and meager funds to build the temples and I was only loosing a little sleep. I still hope it shows up one day...you are the most unselfish person I know!
That is unfortunate, I didn't know that story. I'll keep my eyes peeled!!
That's aweful, Kathy! And I saw the title of your post, and thought it was going to be about missing the nativity displays (which I miss having from our stake in Utah), but that's much worse. Something that treasured, you almost have to have the attitude that maybe someone needed it more than you did. Ugh, I wonder why some people do things like that - AT CHURCH!! Ugh.
Your story broke my heart. Would it hurt to have it announced in all of the ward Relief Societies? It would not hurt. Wish we could reach everyone and have it put in all the ward Sunday programs. Someone has it and I don't think they meant to take it. Reminds me of my mother's sister who went into my mom's home (without permission from me) after my mom died and took things, sold them, gave them away, kept some...I never had a chance to see what my mom had tucked away in her drawers or closets, etc. To get through it I had to tell myself, "they are just things" so I wouldn't keep hurting over the loss of my mother's treasures. I know it is hard and I pray that one day you will get it back. If there is anything I can do to help you find it..please let me do so.
Thanks Kathy for your visit with dear Heather, Jack, and Anna. I'm so sorry to hear the story of the tablecloth. Yes, it was a "thing", but a special, precious thing that tied generations together. Thanks for sharing!
After our flood a box of "Just things" got thrown out.Two of the "Things" were a lace table cloth Mother bought me for Christmas while I was in high school. Another was the set of plaques you gave me from Scotland. I try not to remember any more "Things". Your tablecloth would have been so much more precious. We all think we would give up our all if asked to but I think we are meant to honor the special treasures.
Post a Comment