Sunday, August 8, 2010

If You Give A Moose A Muffin...Part Two

We finished this project about six weeks ago.
I decided to make this post so that I could
get on with the rest of the summer.

I had a professor tell our class once, that if we bought
all of our furniture in one store, at the same time,
she didn't want to come and see our homes.
But if we collected our things over a period
of time, she would love to come and see.
Well, we have collected our stuff over a long period of time,
but my style is so simple and plain,
I am not sure she would want to come and see it.
But if you want to, you are
W E L C O M E.
Meanwhile, here is a sneak preview of our
"Giving a Moose a Muffin".

This is our red entertainment center, with the 4 times
painted bricks in the back ground. It is a very
old (at least 30 years) oak entertainment center. I have
the dreams that we will have one built by our son in law
just for this spot. But meanwhile
this will do nicely.

View from the hall doorway into the family room.

We painted the little shelf red and hung it on this wall. It
had been on the bricks as a faux mantle.

Try to imagine a big picture of red poppies on this wall....
Also, replace the blue wing backs with some smart
comfy red leather chairs. I will keep you posted on those!
And the poppy painting.

This is walking down the hall, into the family room.
This little dresser came from Hobby Lobby
in Logan this spring;
I didn't know what I was going to do with it when
we bought it, but it was so cute that I just had to have it!
Kimberly put it here one day when I was gone!
It holds our DVDs and Videos.
Perfect! Voila!

We bought this temple picture at Costco in Orem
this past week when we were down there.
Seth and Jill bought the lamp when
they were here, and the H O M E was purchased
one time when we were in Nauvoo.

With the entertainment center moved
and the book case out, the office
takes up less space.
Kimberly was the genius behind this cozy clean arrangement.
Well almost clean, I should have cleared off the
table before I took this picture. We really like
our new filing cabinet, it was long over due
with all of Glenn's tax files.
The filing cabinet and chair came from Staples.

Up close and personal.


This guest room down stairs got a face lift.
The quilt was Clark's and he was giving it away!
I wanted it!
Heather made the "welcome" doll at
Lynn Bair's craft shop a few years ago.
I bought the wicker chest
from Sue's Shadow Box, I have had it for a while.
I broke the blinds when I was cleaning them
and just barely had time to throw these curtains up,
before our first round of company came.
I think I will keep them.
They came from Walmart, along with the bed skirt...
where else, when I was under the gun?
The bedspread is a Nautica, we bought it from Gotchalks
at least 10 years ago.
Sheets? Walmart.

View from the family room down the newly
painted hall, looks new to us.
We were glad to get the walls, ceiling
and baseboards painted!
The paint color is Asian Jute from
Historic Colors of America found at
Columbia Paint. I had them mix a shade
lighter for the ceiling.
The baseboard and trim is Brilliant White,
from Sherwin Williams.
(That is Glenn's body in that doorway,
he just couldn't stay out of the way).


Heather made me these P E R R I N S blocks
for Mother's day, she
gives Danielle credit for helping with the design.
Love Them! Thank You!
The Idaho Falls Temple doesn't show well in
this photo, but it is special to us.
We were married there and my
dad gave us this picture.
The green vases were purchased at
Furniture West, 5 years ago.
The mantle is painted the same color of red as the
entertainment center;
Sun Dried Tomato from Sherwin Williams.
I painted it when we got the vases.

Above the pantry; the gold casserole is from
Tia-pan. (sp) We bought it on one of our trips to
Utah this summer.
The flowered bowl was a wedding gift to my parents.
The Partridge was just put there,
I'll have to think of where it came from.

I just rearranged this so that it had a little red and black.
S I M P L I C I T Y is from Elements,
the plates from Sue's, the vases from Walmart.

I took some red and black from here
and added the gold.
I just bought the vase at Elements when
I was shopping with Birgitta a couple of weeks ago.
The rest was already there, from shopping
at Elements a couple of summers ago
when Danielle was helping me decide
what to do with these cupboards.
The board is a gift from a very dear friend, it says;
"Some of my greatest blessings call me 'grandma'."
Now that's true!

We didn't have to change anything here
as it is about the only
practically perfect thing we have in the house.
Danielle and I bought
these things at Elements,
when she was helping me.
The curtains are from Lowes in Logan.

Oh yes, here is the dining room with our new table!
We love it!
Check out the organized book shelves, no small task!
The table is from Easy Home Furnishings.
The rug is from Lowes.

Jill made me this runner for the 4th of July,
while she was here.
I like it so well, I haven't replaced it.
She also gave us the candle with the ribbon
(I couldn't think of what to do).
I love it when these kids update us.
She showed me how to make the runners.
She says they are easy, I just
need to get some fabric and start!
I could have one for each season, or event.

Oh, then there is Clark's bedroom, lest we forget.
He chose an apple green paint, Merrit Apple,
from Historic Paints of America, found at Columbia paints.
We moved the bookcase from the family room
as it backed onto the entertainment center
in the middle of the room.
His bed is a trundle, from Easy Home Furnishings.
He loves the idea of sharing the trundle
with his nieces and nephews when they visit.
It is so sweet.
His book shelf is full of DVDS and Books,
it is just the right
place for the book shelf!
He loves to have church books and manuals.


As you can see, this is a work in progress.
It doesn't look like it took so much work,
but it was a big deal to us.
We were able to get a lot of things out of the
house for a more stream line look.

WE THINK WE WILL STAY A WHILE!


10 comments:

Deanna/Mimi said...

I have REALLY miss your posts!!! This was a delight to read and see the pictures. Your home is beautiful...very attractive and inviting. Love it! It is homey looking and rich with personality. Great job Kathy!

SANDERSON / MCCONKIE FAMILY said...

How fun to take a tour! You have always had a wonderful flair for decorating. Your HOME feels like a place anyone would want to stay. Most of all I love the "Spirit" in your home! Welcome back...Sharon

Tyler - Danielle - Emree said...

I think it look absolutely wonderful! I love how it just looks like a home. It is always fun to have little house projects and it looks like you really did give a moose a muffin. I am going to use that as my excuse for not staining our entertainment center for now!

Kimberly said...

Man, things look different than they do two days ago. Love the Perrins blocks and the new temple picture. I love the warm colors!!

Heather said...

It all looks amazing Mom and Dad! That was a lot of work and it really paid off. It's beautiful. Can't wait to see it in person soon (that's wishful thinking there).

It was so fun to have you here!

Heather said...

p.s. I love the colors you chose too.. very warm and inviting. Love your little hobby lobby dresser! It's so cute. Everything just looks so clean and pristine!

Danielle said...

Oh, Heather...I'm sorry!

Mom, lllooooovvveeeee it! The colors are absolutely fabulous. Your shot of the dining room seriously looks like a picture right out of a magazine. I am sooooo pleased, impressed, proud...all the good stuff.

Wish I could see it in person as well. Sigh.

Grandma & Grandpa said...

What a fun journey through your "redo"! It all looks wonderful. I love your colors! Glad to see you're posting again! Hope all is going well at the Perrins' abode! L&V

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
tv furniture units said...

A 30-year-old entertainment center? That sure is a keeper! I wish I had something as sturdy and long-lasting as that. It will qualify as an heirloom piece!