Wednesday, June 2, 2010

42 years ago! Curried Rice

We celebrated our 42nd wedding anniversary on Monday May 31. Today, I was reading Neighbor Jane's blog about the first taco's she made after they were married. It reminded me of one of the few times my husband and I could not eat the dinner I had prepared.

My idea for that dinner came from my mission. While I was serving in Elgin, Scotland, I was living with members in a lovely bed and breakfast. It was one of my favorite places to live, and one of my favorite areas. Our land lady was a great cook! She got it into her head that I liked spaghetti and my companion liked curried rice. Every Friday she made two special meals, one for me and one for my companion. I do like spaghetti, but if you know me very well, you know that I LOVE rice! Every Friday I would eat my spaghetti, and look longingly over at the curried rice...sigh. I don't know why I didn't ever have the nerve to tell Sister McCaskil that I would like her to serve me rice, but I never did. Sometimes when she was out of the room, I would ask my companion for a taste of hers, YUM!

After I was married, I could never find a recipe, so I tried to make one up. I bought the curry, I remembered that it had chicken (which I forgot to buy) and raisins. In my mind, if a little curry is good, a little more would even be better! Since I had no chicken, I substituted of all things...Oh I hate to say it...tuna. Add the raisins and it was awful!

Neither one of us could eat it! Glenn has never forgotten it! We have since had rice that had curry in it and it has always been good, but never as good as the curried rice that I had in Elgin, Scotland!

10 comments:

Danielle said...

That story still cracks me up!

Happy Anniversary, Mom and Dad!!

Love you tons!!

Deanna/Mimi said...

I loved your post Kathy. I got a good laugh. With you talking about rice made me think about a story of my mother. She was a new bride and decided to make rice...something she had never done before. She proceeded to cook the contents of the box (or bag) of rice. That's right...the whole of it...not just a cup of uncooked rice. She told me that she had every bowl and pan in her kitchen full of cooked rice. She had no idea it would multiply like it did.

Happy Anniversary. It had an extra special meaning this year for you both...we all are very thankful that all looks wonderful for many more years together. Ned and I have our 50th coming up on Jun 11th. How the time has flown.

Birgitta said...

I've never heard this story! Very funny! TUNA! I DO NOT like Tuna. Tuna ruins anything!

I would love to have curried rice. As you know, I love me some good rice!

Samantha and Tyrel Ross said...

Hilarious story! I would have never thought to try and substitute chicken with tuna!! hahaha. Happy Anniversary!!

Kristi said...

Funny story! I love how you typed "tuna" in little tiny letters. haha!

SANDERSON / MCCONKIE FAMILY said...

My fiasco was whole wheat bread. Paul's comment was if you make another 1000 of these...we could build a house. Not eatible but most memorable!!! :)

Heather said...

I'm not sure I have heard that story either! or if I have I had forgotten it.. I am still laughing. Hysterical!

I put garlic salt in scrambled eggs once thinking that would give some good flavor.. It was so sooo bad. Kirk and I couldn't touch those either. That's our "curried rice"

Happy anniversary! I love you both and am so glad to be your daughter.. and so grateful for your example of a great marriage!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, so hilarious. I was laughing and gagging at the same time.

Anonymous said...

The first anonymous is also the second anonymous. Still laughing, quit gagging:)

BRENDA

Tamara said...

Thanks for the memories. Happy Belated Anniversary. We love you!