Tuesday, September 15, 2009

"Season's come and Season's go"


We have a shelf on our entry wall that has block letters for the different seasons.

Today I took down the "Summer" blocks and put up the "Autumn" blocks. I love each season as it comes. Even though I love Autumn, I hate to say good bye to summer. I often feel sad as I leave one season and move on to the next. I felt that especially the days that I drove away from first, Ricks College and then BYU.
I have been thinking about the word "season" today. The word season is used to describe many things such as school season or sports season. The words times and seasons are often used together. We know that there are seasons of the year as well as seasons of our lives. The Lord uses different "season" phrases; in due season, in the season thereof, a short season, a little season, lay up against the season thereof.

Today as I changed the blocks that say Summer to the blocks that say Autumn, it marks the beginning of Solstice in our lives. We thought that Glenn was going to retire on December 31, 2009. But today he went into work for the last time. He went into work to tell his coworkers that he has been diagnosed with a cancerous tumor in his stomach. The tumor is at a stage 2 which is a good thing. The oncologist thinks that is it operable. We will be getting 2nd opinion next week and start treatments from there.

As this Summer season comes to a close, so does a 30 year season of working at the PUD. As the Autumn season starts, so does a season of cancer treatment, healing, and recovery!

"To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under the heaven"
Eccl. 3:1

7 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Oh my goodness, Kathy. As I was reading this to Calvin he said, "Whoa...that's sad, please write Kathy and Glenn" and so I write to let you know that our thoughts and prayers are with you and your doctors.

I'm grateful that Glenn has you and that he is a healthy and optimistic man.

We are available to help in any way.

Danielle said...

I have been waiting for this post all day. What a great way to put it, all in perspective of seasons. How is Dad feeling about his last day of work? What a milestone. What a turn of events. What a ride!!

We love you!!

Samantha and Tyrel Ross said...

Kathy I went to write you an email yesterday I realized I didn't know which Kathy Perrins' email I had so I am glad you posted that here. I just wanted to let you know we love you and Glenn and your family our in our prayers!!

SANDERSON / MCCONKIE FAMILY said...

I am so sorry that you have to experience this. President Perrins is such a picture of vitality and spirituality. I think he and Paul were in the same gene pool when it comes to sense of humor and strength of spirit. You are so lucky to have each other. I love you Kathy...let me know if I can do ANYTHING...for now you and Glenn are in our prayers!

Lori said...

Our thoughts and prayers are with you both and your family. You are such examples to us of faith and spirituality and looking on the bright side of things Keep us posted on the progress and the news.

Kristi said...

Kathy, you've expressed this in such a lovely way. We continue to have you in our thoughts and prayers. I think you are doing a great job so far in this fight. Keep on! Love you lots and lots!

Unknown said...

What an amazing post about Seasons. . . . . . .Can you imagine all the people Pres. Perrins has touched over the past 30 years at work? And now his influence will continue as they pray for you. Thanks for keeing us posted. You are in our prayers. WE LOVE YOU!