Monday, August 31, 2009

If you think you want a pool....

I you have been green with envy over our pool, you may want to take a second look.


I couldn't decide on the title for this post, names I thought of are:

"Our pool is as green as our grass"

"Pray for our pool"

"The Miracle of the Chicago River on St Patrick's Day"

"It doesn't get any greener than this"

"You see nothin' but green "

"Green River"

"Green green green, I'm not in love with green green green."


This is what "Pool Envy" looks like. It is causing quite the comments from the missionaries.

Close up of our pool steps, you can see the GREEN.


Close up of the pool, a perfect reflection of the sky, clouds and trees, Ugh! This reminds me of a nasty compliment that was going around when I was in High School; "Your eyes are like pools..., cesspools" It is actually hard to get a good picture of how green it is.


WHAT HAPPENED? Well the miracle of a clean, clear pool is; a sand filter that the water is constantly running through, chemically balanced pool with the PH just right, Aglecide, Chlorine, conditioner, more chemicals, sweeping, vacuuming and regular back washing the sand filter. If any one of these things get out of whack you can get what you see above!

WHAT HAPPENED? Well for this summer, it was the SAND in the sand filter that needed to be changed. All of the principles who look after the pool, namely Glenn, Kathy, and Lyndsay Pool and Spa forgot that the sand in the sand filter needed to be changed BEFORE we started the pool up this summer. After the pool was up and running, we could never get it clear and we all surmised that it was the sand! TOO LATE! So we have put double the chemicals , double the work, double the money into just limping along with a barely acceptably clean pool.

Some how the neighbors didn't notice or care...funny.

This past Friday we dumped $79 worth of Chlorine and Algecide in the pool. Nada! Saturday we dumped another $30 worth of Chlorine in and still no change as of this morning.

What to do? Glenn half heartily suggested emptying the pool. I think that is a great idea! But the people at Lyndsy say NO NO NO! So I am driving over there to have the water tested and get more chems!

We can't winterize it this way....I am sure with the help of our friendly friends at Lyndsy and many more chemicals and much more money, we will get the water clean enough to put it to bed and next year we will change the sand filter BEFORE we get it wet!

So if you have been GREEN with envy over our beautiful pool, you may want to think again.

5 comments:

Kimberly said...

Very clever mom. That is atrocious. I'm glad it's getting to cold to swim because now there's no temptation, it's definitely too green to swim!

Kristi said...

How about "It's not easy bein' green" ? I think "Pray for our pool" is hilarious! Good luck with getting it all balanced. I hope it doesn't cost you a fortune. I keep thinking there has got to be a good analogy here; perhaps an anecdote for a lesson???

Danielle said...

Looks like a perfect healing solution for a good case of the hives. Yick! I am so sad for you about the pool. It really is devastating, isn't it?!?!

SANDERSON / MCCONKIE FAMILY said...

I love you Kathy!!! You make the most miserable situations seem like a party!!! I hope you call when you are in town. Maybe we can do another pedicure?!? I am thankful to have your blogs...they make me smile...often!!! :)

Birgitta said...

Oh, that makes me sad...and I have never been green with envy that you have a pool because I realize the work and money you have put into it. We just take advantage when we come to visit. It's like heaven!

Good luck....with getting it clear.