Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Family Reunions


Family reunions are just awesome. When I was a girl, we didn't have them on my mothers side of the family, as all of her aunts, uncles and cousins lived in Scotland. They never thought of planning one for just the American brothers, sisters and kids. My dad's side of the family had been in America for years and most of them lived in Idaho and Utah. Our family reunions on that side of the family consisted of meeting in a park at noon, having a potluck lunch, old folks visiting and the kids finding what ever activity was in the park. I have some friends and siblings who would love to sit and listen while adults visited, but that wasn't me. I was more action oriented. My memory of family reunions is that they were boring and as I got older, I wasn't all that interested in going because I really didn't know the people and there was no one there my age...


Well things are different now. We are having a family reunion with just our children and grandchildren. We are traveling to NAUVOO! Some of us are flying, some of us are driving. Some of us are leaving Thursday morning, some of us are leaving Friday morning. We will all arrive there on Friday evening June 19th. The reunion will go until noon the following Tuesday.

There will be more to do than we can do. sights to see, shows to watch, a wagon ride through old Nauvoo. Stories to tell, games to play, swimming, activies, photos, Temple attendance, eating, sleeping, visiting, and a "Perrins Family Conference".

Ten years ago we went to Nauvoo with our son Erik and his wife Kristi and our three youngest children, Heather, Kimberly and Clark. That was just after they announced that they were going to build the Temple in Nauvoo.

We had such a special time there and the spirit was so strong that we didn't want to leave. We also knew that we wanted to share this experience with the rest of the family. I felt the spirit on all of the sights, but the Heber C Kimball home, besides the temple was one of my favorites.

Well now the long awaited time has come. Thanks to Erik and Kristi for all the planning and work to put this event together!

It takes lots of planning on the pare of each families figure the best way to travel, get time off work, save money, etc. But it will all be worth it as memories are made and family bonds are strengthened. Our last reunion was in conjunction with Kimberly and Curtis' wedding two years ago.


Things have also changed for my extended family, and I am sorry to be missing a Joseph and Laura Jensen (as pictured here) reunion that will be held on June 20th. It will still be held in a park at noon, but there will be a lot more activities for the children. Now I KNOW all the people that will be there, and I will be missing my cousins, aunts, uncles, siblings and nieces and nephews. My sister had done extensive research on our Danish heritage, this year marks the 150th anniversary of the first families to immigrate. As they are meeting I will beable to stand at the memorial in Nauvoo where my Great, Great Grandfather Jens Christian Jensen's name is listed as one of those who died crossing the plains.

9 comments:

Samantha and Tyrel Ross said...

How fun!! That is my mother-in-laws dream trip for our family. Hope we get there someday. Hope you all have fun and enjoying being together

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

This is exciting and gives me a new goal to dream for. With you as part of it, you'll all have a wonderful time. I wish I was a mosquito on the wall watching.

Lori said...

ENJOY!!!! ENJOY!!! EJOY!!!! I'm so excited to hear all about it when you return.

Danielle said...

Who is that picture of? Is that Jens Christian?

Kathy’s Korner said...

That is my grandmother and grandfather Jensen. The reunion is their decendants.

Marion said...

We're going as a family in July! I'm so excited to go and feel of the spirit there. I'll be looking forward to hearing about your time there and seeing pictures, too. I hope you have a super time! See you when you get back!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.