Thursday, May 28, 2009

Rose Colored Glasses

Yesterday our daughter Kimberly had 7 more pages to read in "The Scarlet Letter". She was here, so I asked her to read it aloud to me. (Why didn't I take a picture of that?) I have read it a couple of times but I didn't remember the ending. I don't want to spoil the ending for anyone out there! Forgive me if I do.

In the ending there was a phenomenon that the people saw a confession of a sin right before their eyes, and yet, when it was over they denied that it had happened. That is just like what we see happening in America today. People see President Obama saying and doing very destructive things but they don't see it. They choose to over look anything that might be wrong and practise "hero worship". They are looking at him and his darling family through rose colored glasses.

There are 3 main characters in the book. Dimsdale, Chillingsworth, and Hester Prine. Hester is married to Chillingsworth, but no one in the village knows that. She has an affair with Dimsdale the town preacher, which results in a pregnancy, while Chillingsworth is gone.

She is put on a scaffolding in front of the town and sentenced to wear a scarlet letter A sewn on her breast for the rest of her life. Dimsdale is a coward and doesn't come forth as the other half of the adultery. Chillingsworth returns to town, doesn't claim Hester as his wife, but is cold and calculating through the entire book wanting to expose and destroy the other two.

The people in the town are very demeaning and self righteous to Hester. They fall just short of worshiping Dimsdale, who suffers emotionally for his cowardess and sin.

At the end of the book, he decides to reveal himself as Little Pearl's father and confess his sin. While he is doing it he bares his chest and reveals a scarlet letter burned into his chest, it is the same as Hester's that is sewn on her clothing. Then he dies.

After his death people were discussing what they had seen and heard. There were many people there who swear that he didn't confess to his sin and that he didn't have a scarlet letter on his chest. In other words after his confession, it was as if he never confessed at all, the people still loved, revered, and worshiped him still.

I make this analogy to President Obama. He does the most conspicuously evil things. Taking over corporations, mortgage companies, demeaning America to foreign countries, etc. There are people, Rush Limbaugh, Fox New, Lars Larsen, etc. who point his obvious unpatriotic behavior out and people just look at him with Rose Colored Glasses. They just don't see it! When will America wake up and fight back. What can we do? What should we do to preserve our freedom and our way of life?

I have to say, that I can not articulate politics the way my husband can, so forgive my ineptness in this area, I am really going out on a limb. But when I heard that ending to that book, I thought "Wow it is the same way today with President Obama!"

6 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

I've got big concerns, too, Kathy. I appreciate your insight.

hennchix said...

Amen and Amen!! Great post!!

Samantha and Tyrel Ross said...

I was just listening to Rush the other day in the car and he talks about that all the time how he can't believe how everyone just overlooks all his lies and still trusts him and will either justify what he does or just over look it. It's so frustrating that we are in the day when right in wrong and wrong is right. No matter what we say or do we will be looked at as prejudice and hateful people because we will not conform and are sticking to our conservative ways.

Danielle said...

I am ashamed to say that with all of the stress with what has gone on here lately, I have not been listening to the news. But I do have to say that it is hard not to agree!

SANDERSON / MCCONKIE FAMILY said...

I am so with you on this. It is like people just quietly follow and accept. We as a nation are in real trouble. I hope the Savior comes soon. I worry most about our children and grandchildren. Then I remember Pres Hinckley and I smile and know it is going to be okay. I love you Kathy...I will miss you! Danielle and I need to get together! :)

Kimberly said...

Ba ha ha. I love how articulate books are. Classic books I should say. They portray life so completely. You just don't get that in the movies. Very true about Obama-blinders. Everyone's getting douped.