Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The Grinch that stole Christmas

Yesterday my sister Cynthia and I were rearranging the living room at mom's house so that we could put a hospital bed in it. You know how old people hate change, my mom is losing strength pretty fast. My sister Sylvia is living with her and taking care of her. Sylvia felt like she could care for her easier if she had a hospital bed. So as we were getting ready for the bed to come and moving furniture, the words to the Grinch song were going through my head. Just then Cynthia said, "I feel like the Grinch who stole Christmas". We couldn't believe that we were thinking the same thing!



Mom is having a really good day today. She slept well last night and has been awake a little more today and is responding to our funny little stories. It is so nice to see her smile and to hear her laugh! She is sitting in her chair and thank heavens she doesn't need to speed all day in bed, yet!



Mom and I are in the pink. I really love her and I am so glad I am here. These pictures were taken this afternoon. December 9, 2008.



Sylvia and Mom. Sylvia is doing such a fantastic job in caring for mom! There has to be a special place in heaven for her and people who serve the way she does.



Cynthia and mom.

Don't you think is is funny that when you have a new baby you get all kinds of books and help as you learn how to be a mother. Then the older your kids get,the less information is available to you. By the time you have a young adult, there are virtually no books to guide you through the ups and downs of living with and launching your precious child.

Well my brothers and sisters and I are in completely new territory, I am unaware of any literature that would be useful to guide us through these trying times. I love to serve my mother, it gives me great joy, but making decisions that are best for her and best for those of us who care for her, are very difficult. Some times down right Grinchy!

Mom's mind is pretty sharp, and yet she isn't realistic about her abilities and our abilities. So here we are taking everything one day at a time and doing the best we can. There are many blessings in all of this and the three greatest ones are the presence of the Lord, Mom's SWEET spirit, and the unity in our family and each or our families!

I am leaving tomorrow. Today we are trying to let Sylvia do all of mom's care so that we can see how she does on her own. Everytime I think of leaving I weep, not because we are loosing mom, because I think we are as prepared for that as we can be, but it hurts to leave my sister with so much work. We are blessed to have a brother and sister who live close and who are willing to help at the drop of a hat, but they can't be here all the time. We really want mom to be in her home as long as she lives.

My mother was 40 when her mother died. She took care of her in our home and set such a good example for us. At that time we were all home, mom also had a new baby. We marvel at how she was able to do it. She was younger than we are, but still she had a large family and a new baby to care for. The thing that we all remember is that there was such a sweet spirit in our home. That is the spirit the attends loving service and you hear that all the time.

Thank heavens for children and grandchildren as we see the cycle of life!

6 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Kathy, that is such a beautiful picture of you and your mom. What a classic to have.

I'm thinking of you.

Love,
Jane

Mama Tales said...

This is a difficult and gracious time isn't it. It is hard to watch one's parent struggle without being very aware of how little you can do for them and how much you appreciate them. Drive home carefully and we'll see you in a couple of days

Kimberly said...

You and Cynthia are really kindred spirits. It seems like you've been gone FOREVER!! I'm glad you get that time with your mom and siblings. It bet it's really fun!

Danielle said...

You so beautiful in your picture with Gma. What a babe!!

SANDERSON / MCCONKIE FAMILY said...

Tender mercies...a time to prepare and a time to love. We miss you too Kathy. We saw Pres Perrins and Clark when we (Grannies) were out caroling and deliver cookies. We took a plate to Richard and the missionaries. Consider your self hugged! Love Ya, Sharon

hennchix said...

Oh Kathy, what a sweet experience you are having! My eyes are filled with tears of joy for your tender mercies, and tears of pain for the loss you will soon be feeling. Thank you for sharing such a loving spirit.