Saturday, November 22, 2008

Friendship

I woke up this morning thinking of friends! Elder Holland's talk at conference was about angels seen and unseen and that is what my friends are for me. What a blessing it is for me to have many great friends. It was a comment my niece made on my last blog that started me thinking about how blessed I am because of my friends.

My friends help me to reach "the ideals of my heart" in some of the following way:

Journal/blog writing
Home making
Scripture reading
Institute Class
Cooking
Gardening
Food Storage
Diet and exercise
Church Service
Motherhood
Grand motherhood
Missionary Service
Being a better wife and companion
Budgeting
Creativity
Happiness
Service
Book Group
Hair and Make up (that sounds silly)
Home Decorating
Laughter
Good Heath
........to name a few.

I spend most of my daytime hours at home, alone. which is fine, or I wouldn't get anything done. That has an up side and a down side. I really to enjoy and need time to my self. On the other hand I enjoy and need the motivation and stimulation that I get from interacting with my friends! My friends are great motivators.

As I was thinking about that this morning I remembered a powerful experience that I recently had....

I posted a blog about Venice Hammond being a Gardening Angel, we had such a great time. It took me several hours over the next three days to finish cleaning out the rest of my flower beds! That time passed quickly because I kept thinking about all of my friends and family who garden. Those happy memories of friends and family made that work pleasant and enjoyable, instead of back breaking, miserable, boring and lonely!

I think what I am trying to say is that it is really fun to spend time with friends, but even in my alone times I am motivated and inspired by friends and family. What a blessing it is to have good friends who are true servants of the Lord to be my mentors and companions. What a blessing to spend time with people who are positive and up lifting! We are told that if we want to have a certain quality that we need to choose to associate with people who possess that quality. My friends and family bring out the best in me and hopefully help me be a better person.

I can not end this blog without mentioning that my husband it my best friend, but that is another subject, isn't it.

How have your friends blessed your life?

2 comments:

SANDERSON / MCCONKIE FAMILY said...

Kathy, you are a true friend! You always focus on the positive. I love hanging out with you. Your FUN! I remember when I got pregnant with Nicole there were 3 people I knew who would be happy for me...and you were one of them. Thanks for being my friend.

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Yes! Yes! This says it so well:
"even in my alone times I am motivated and inspired by friends and family."

Thanks for being a friend that can laugh so easily.