Friday, October 10, 2008

Clark's Name Sake



There is a news breaking story in Utah about Clark Waddoups being appointed to the US District Court in Utah by President Bush.
Clark was my next door neighbor when I was growing up. We would often sit together on the bus ride to school and play as neighbors. He was my brother Joe's best friend. One of my life's defining moments was one morning while riding with him on the bus. He was 6 and I was 8. He told me that he was saving money for his mission. I had never heard of such a thing. I knew in that moment that Clark's mother Veta was the one that inspired him to do that. At that moment I decided that I was going to teach my boys when they were young to save money for their missions and to other wise prepare for their mission.
When I was pregnant with Kimberly, I knew I was going to have another baby and that he would be a boy. I wanted him to be like Clark Waddoups and that is why we named our Clark, Clark. That is one reson I have had a challenge adjusting to Clark having downs syndrome. A dream was shattered. But I know that our Clark is a valiant young man and maybe in the next life he will be able to do some of the great things that Clark Waddoups has done in this life.
Clark's wife Vicky Lee Tibbits was one of my younger friends when I was growing up. You can find a lot more about him if you google him.

5 comments:

Birgitta said...

It's nice to know where Clark got his name. Thanks for sharing.

Kimberly said...

I like that story. I've never heard it told like that!

Danielle said...

I love that story, too! It because of that story that we started Chase's mission jar two years ago. Clark is very deserving of that name!!

Jeremy said...

Did I even know that? It's a good story.

Heather said...

I think I had forgotten that.. or never heard it. I'm usually one of the last to know these things so it wouldn't surprise me. that is a very neat history and and I think Clark W should be very honored to have such a great kid named after him!