I posted about two months ago and a lot has happened since then.
First Glenn: The chemo treatment that he was receiving stopped working and there were cancer symptoms located on his hip bones, that was causing a lot of pain. Also his CEA marker went sky high.
Dr. Smith changed the chemo to a much harsher treatment. He has now had three treatments of that treatment and they have been every three weeks. After the first treatment, he was in excruciating pain for the first week, he said that it hurt every cell of his body, his bones, his joints, his muscles. He was not able to control the pain for about two days that week. The next two treatments haven't been that painful. After that first treatment his CEA marker just about doubled, which was very discouraging but the Dr. said that was not unusual, so he went ahead with the 2nd treatment. He as not in as much pain and he could feel the cancer symptoms diminishing. When he went in for the third treatment the CEA marker was down substantially and that was very reassuring. He will go in Wednesday the 31st for the next reading, he is expecting to see even better results.
He feels good, now that he is 11 days out. The worst side effect now is the neuropathy, by the end of the day his feet are very hard to walk on. I touched the top of his foot by his toes last night and it sent and electric shock up his leg. He can get a zinger at the slighted bump or touch, ugh.
He is truly remarkable he maintains such agood attitude, he is very uncomplaining. I think I would want to curl up and die, but he keeps fighting, (thank heavens). This treatment really take and toll, he is often very tired, but has mowed the lawn sometimes and has had fun with the kids and grandkids.
At the temple with our family at Clark's endowment.

At BYU with Jeremy's kids.
Grandpa always has ice cream treats for the grandkids. It precludes all the cookies, cakes, and cinnamon roll grandma would make, but doesn't have to! Thank you!
Swimming is defiantly the main event.
And here we are waiting at the Portland airport as we wait to make connections with Erik and his family.
3 comments:
Kathy...I know you have been going through more trials than the average person, but I want you to know that your posts about Glenn give me strength as I deal with my own health issues. It tore me up to read that he has to have more severe treatments and yet he keeps on going and doing and being an example of faith, hope and enduring. I truly have learned so much. I sometimes wonder why people like Glenn who have been stalwart and true their entire lives have to suffer greatly in their older years. Then it hit me one day...and forget me if this makes you gasp...but perhaps Heavenly Father LETS serious things come that cause us pain, anguish, etc., so that we will want to go home. If we had our youthful, energy driven bodies as old people then we would not want to ever return because we like it here so much. In my case, I have chronic pain and there is not much relief, but I am determined to hang in there and do what I can here, but I am sure wanting to go home. I am in the house 24/7. No church for 3 years. No social life or doing my own shopping, cleaning, cooking, etc. I love it when you say that Glenn's attitude is so great, because that lifts me and I say, "Glenn is a remarkable man and he is not complaining, but his heart is filled with love and he is reaching out to help be an instrument in God's hands. I love both you and Glenn. I am sorry that you are going through this. But one day my sweet friend, there will be joy beyond imagination. We will do here what we need to do and do it with dignity....just like Glenn does. Thank you Brother Glenn for being such a faithful example of a faithful, trustful child of God that you are. You have touched many lives...mine included. God watch over you and may your good works continue to spread so that we can learn from you and strengthen ourselves through your faith and your words. Much love to both of you, Deanna
Thank you for posting, Kathy. I always look to see if there is any news. We are so grateful that the treatments aren't as painful as they were and that the markers are looking better. Our hearts ache for your struggles and pain, but your examples of courage and faith lift us and make us want to do better and be better. We love you and your family. Know that our prayers are always with you. L&V
Thank you for the update Kathy. I really appreciate it. I think of you often.
Post a Comment