Thursday was the third day after Glenn's second treatment. Glenn felt great, which we count as a terrific blessing. So we decided to make Almond Roca. Glenn's sister used to make it for him for his birthday. He LOVES it. Thank heavens she taught me how to make it.
We always make some for the kids at Christmas time. It always stresses me, you have to catch it at just exactly the right time for it to turn out good. If you under cook it, it is surgery, if you over cook it, it is burned. Glenn hovers over me at the end to help me spot that exact moment it turns the right color. I always want to quit sooner than he does...wait, wait...never mind that my arm is killing be because of how hard and fast I am stirring. I learned a great trick a couple of years ago that has helped, it is to look for the first signs of smoke, who knew? I am so glad for that tip. He helps by cutting the almonds in thirds and chopping them up for the chocolate topping, he pronounces when it is the right color to be done, and he is there to help hold the pan when we pour it onto the cookie sheet. It would be hard to tackle this task alone.
Another thing that Glenn loves is turkey, he gets as excited about that as he does golf, Christmas and Almond Roca. Lucky for me he is the one who cooks it and takes it off the bone! We bought a turkey last week and it was ready to cook yesterday also. It is hard to think of turkey without having mashed potatoes and gravy. With such a big meal being prepared, we invited Kimberly and Curtis to come and help us eat it, but he had to work late, so they couldn't come. Clark went to a basket ball game, so there Glenn and I sat with mounds of food. It made me wish I knew someone who needed a good meal at that hour. At least we know what we will be eating for the next few days, and lucky me, I don't have to cook!

5 comments:
I love how dad is always hovering over the almond roca process. He's a funny one. I'm glad the treatment works each time. Thanks for the leftovers for lunch!!
So glad he's feeling well. The Almost Roca sounds DElicious! Hoping all will continue to go so well.
Sending love, L&V
I'm glad he is doing so well and even if it is a stress it must be fun to have him help with the candy and a great help with the turkey. Love you guys.
I wish I would have been there to eat the turkey...and debone it! I got that love from him.
You two are like a well-oiled machine!
It's so fun to read updates from you Kathy. Thanks, too, for the smoking tip. That will help me as well.
Post a Comment